New brake drums overheating

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderbus

Reaction score
I have just fitted new drums to my 1970 bay. The front drums are fine and seem to be working well. The rear drums however are getting hot. I took it for a 5 to 10 mile run and the rear brake drums got too hot to touch, Slacken off the adjusters I hear you cry! I would do but they won't slacken off any more. I have fitted new star adjusters and it looks as though I could take them out and cut a few mm off the screw but that would be it. Is this just the new drums bedding in ? Will they settle down? If not what can I do? File down the shoes??

Any assistance gratefully recieved

I didn't really adjust it at all. I tested it out and it started to work at about 6 clicks and was on full at 10 clicks so it seemed okay. Should I have done it from scratch?

There was no adjustment to be done at the star adjusters so I didn't start adjusing the handbrake. I am going to chek to see if I have got the right brake shoes first as it doesn't seem right that theres no play in them.

The vans registration date is 1/1/1970 and the VIN no is 2302040232 but I seem to remember there are about 4 different sets of shoes. If anyone can assist with which one I need I would be grateful

I have just checked out brake shoes on JKampers and VW Heritage. JK only offer one set for 1963 to July 1971 yet VW Heritage list 2 types for the same period? Could I therefore simply have the wrong shoes?

Back off the adjusters on the handbrake, adjust the the shoes correctly on the star adjusters, then pull the handbrake on 6 clicks and adjust the handbrake so that it is dragging equally on both sides. Then pull the handbrake on and check that it will lock the wheels and then release the handbrake and check that the brakes are fully released. This should now revent your brakes from over heating.

WHS^^^^
I had the problem of the rear brakes coming on on my Dormy when I changed the rear brakes.The thing is you have to adjust the star adjusters till the brakes start biting and back off a couple of clicks.Then with both rear wheels in the air and the handbrake pulled on 6 clicks you adjust the handbrake until the drums just start biting.

"I didn't really adjust it at all. I tested it out and it started to work at about 6 clicks "

so with no handbrake and no pedal pressure the brakes dont rub, but after a run the drums are hot?
sounds like the flexible hoses perished inside, loose laps of rubber hold the pressure on after using the footbrake

Latest posts