New to EarlyBay ? Say Hi here ...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My question is, How easy is it to swap a body over on a chassis?

Well - I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong. But bought ours as an unfinished project. The body and floor pan etc were all, erm ....... how can I describe it :? Mono-coque - this is not a spelling test ;). Basically, all we did was bolt on the suspension to the shell which was of a single construction (floor attached to sides etc.). So if your donor vehicle is "sound" then just transfer everything over to it. Make sure you have plenty of axle stands and trolley jacks etc.

I feel a bit uneasy saying that but it seems that simple :msn4: .

Hi all. Thought I had better say hello after being on here for a few months. I picked up my 71 crossover the weekend before Christmas '13 in Taunton and drove her back to Norfolk without any problems except no heating and me freezing my B..(you get the idea) off!

As it turns out she was first registered in Norwich, so the old girl has come home! Really pleased. She is now with Zed at his world famous bus garage having a few bits done.

I have already been to the Volksworld and Stanford Hall shows and hopefully Jimmys Farm and Whitenoise.

Happy motoring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
me8y5abe.jpg
9umynusu.jpg

Nice bus, SkutterBob!

Hello folks. Upgraded my air-cooled T25 for an early bay a few months ago. Registered in 1971, not sure what kind of roof conversion - perhaps Danbury or some kind of homemade job. Don't really know much at all about it, except it being a twin port Kombi. We use it as our only vehicle (as we did the T25), but we both work from home in North Wales, so it's not like we're doing a daily commute or anything.

Still needs a little work and the interior is pretty bare, but haven't come up against anything major (yet!).

admwllms said:
Nice bus, SkutterBob!

Hello folks. Upgraded my air-cooled T25 for an early bay a few months ago. Registered in 1971, not sure what kind of roof conversion - perhaps Danbury or some kind of homemade job. Don't really know much at all about it, except it being a twin port Kombi. We use it as our only vehicle (as we did the T25), but we both work from home in North Wales, so it's not like we're doing a daily commute or anything.

Still needs a little work and the interior is pretty bare, but haven't come up against anything major (yet!).

A very nice pair of busses indeedy 8) 8) So big welcome to you both and I can`t really tell what roof it is from that piccy, maybe if you get a few higher shots of it , it maybe usefull especially if you needs any bits forr it in the the long term.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Enjoy,,,,,,, Oh !! here comes summmmmmer :lol: :p :lol:

Cheers Ozziedog!

Alas, I have a distinct lack of photos at the moment because in the few short months I've had the bus, I've got married, had a honeymoon in Rome, found out my wife was pregnant, and started a new job – there's been barely a spare moment. But this is what I have got (before the tire was taken off the front).

I`ll go along with you on that, she looks a beaut all right. Devon ain`t ringing no bells with me as there is no shroud and the later Devons aren`t quite so high on the sides as that. I`ll guess Danbury as well but mainly because the edge trim looks like a seal and not just a trim like you get on Devons. I could also be very wrong and that happens quite a bit now days :lol: Possibly a foreign one or a repro of some sort. But all that said,,,,,,,, she`s still a beaut 8)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, An Ozzie one maybe ? :mrgreen:

Hi I'm Duane and we've just bought our first bay :) wanted one since I was about 10 and now finally have one. He needs a bit of love but luckily I have a nice workshop to work in!
yremy8yg.jpg
ezase8uv.jpg
da2egu4a.jpg

Hi there Duane, that`s a good looker for a Right Hand Drive. How original is it ? Nice of you to come along and join our merry gang, the more the merrier :p Have you been scheming and hatching plans yet, or just leave it alone for the rest of the season and see how it goes ? Enjoy the most relaxed forum possibly on the tinternet, and great to have you along :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Ta for the piccies too :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
Hi there Duane, that`s a good looker for a Right Hand Drive. How original is it ? Nice of you to come along and join our merry gang, the more the merrier :p Have you been scheming and hatching plans yet, or just leave it alone for the rest of the season and see how it goes ? Enjoy the most relaxed forum possibly on the tinternet, and great to have you along :mrgreen:

It's all original I think apart from the colour was painted 10 years ago so is getting a bit tatty don't really no much about it. It's going to get gutted and a new interior ( I do it for a living) and some fresh paint but want to keep as original as possible externally with a modern interior. Want to see if I can find out what colour it was original apert from that just enjoy it!

Duamo said:
ozziedog said:

It's all original I think apart from the colour was painted 10 years ago so is getting a bit tatty don't really no much about it. It's going to get gutted and a new interior ( I do it for a living) and some fresh paint but want to keep as original as possible externally with a modern interior. Want to see if I can find out what colour it was original apert from that just enjoy it!

On your M plate there will be a code or something that will tell you what the colour was. I like the idea of original outside but modern (ish) inside and that`s where I`m heading with mine at the moment. To try things out from an interior perspective, try sitting in other peoples vans at shows and stuff. Most guys go daft over the Westfalias and their interiors but they all seem way too cramped for me with all that stuff in so that`s why Im doing ^^^ that above.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,That`s the recipe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just enjoy it :mrgreen:

Nice bus Dwayne, yeah after looking at the shows I want a modern interior too for the reasons Ozziedog stated. I originally wanted a Westfalia style but after sitting in one, don't think there would be much room for my dogs – and they're the amongst the most important reason to go anywhere anyway.

An update on my bus: asked around and in the end was told it was definitely a Canterbury Pitt. Googled it and saw a bit on another forum to check the interior behind the spare wheel to confirm, and yep, looks like one. I know nothing about the Canterbury Pitts! Never even heard of it before... It's a start though I guess and should make it easier to get a better roof canvas.

admwllms said:
Nice bus Dwayne, yeah after looking at the shows I want a modern interior too for the reasons Ozziedog stated. I originally wanted a Westfalia style but after sitting in one, don't think there would be much room for my dogs – and they're the amongst the most important reason to go anywhere anyway.

An update on my bus: asked around and in the end was told it was definitely a Canterbury Pitt. Googled it and saw a bit on another forum to check the interior behind the spare wheel to confirm, and yep, looks like one. I know nothing about the Canterbury Pitts! Never even heard of it before... It's a start though I guess and should make it easier to get a better roof canvas.

I think I`ve heard of a Canterbury Pitt, but that`s about it. Now I know what one looks like at least. Why don`t you pop up a thread on general and see if there`s any more lurking about on this forum. They may be the peeps to help you find specific parts for yours if they have one.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Good Luck with it :mrgreen:

Hi, this is our 68 deluxe wev just picked up :) Got a load of plans for it, inside is her department :lol:

Got the front axle off today so gona try and get the csp adjusters in tomorrow if i can, is there a how-to anywhere?

Any comments please say, thanks :)

Hi guys,I'm a newbie and just wanted to introduce myself as I should become a bit more active as I get started on my 71 westy that I've just picked up.
Heres a pic of when I picked it up the other day.ive a couple of other vans but the early westy just done it for me...

Hi all just joined so first post.I have a 71 bay tin top,bought it nearly 2 years ago now as a project.Just about done all the welding now only get to work on it every now and again.Had to replace bottom 12 inchs all the way round.At the primer seam sealer and underseal stage now.Whats the best place to get a full rear cargo floor from its right hand drive left side sliding door?Or as I'm going to be putting down a ply floor with covering on is there any reason why I can't get a flat 2-3mm flat plate cut to the right shape?Loads more questions to ask but thought I'd just add a couple to my introduction cheers Pep

Evening All,

This is Bernard my first camper :D :D

He's an october 1967 delux and here is the low down on him:

he has a custom beige and maroon leather interior including all interior panels
has custom cupboards fitted
the engine has been rebuilt 3k miles ago and painted like a fisher price toy :lol: :lol: :lol:
he is fitted with electronic ignition and electric fuel pump
has twin solex carbs set up
he has been lowered a few notches but i want to put drop spindles and horse shoe plates on him
he is wearing replica porsche 365 wheels with the correct porsche hub caps and centers
i have already fitted new carpets to the front
he was covered in anchor wax and I'm slowly taking this off but its a bit of a ball ache,then will mop him and see how he comes up
he even still has his original stereo!!

before we go to aircooled I'm going to service him and get him set up on a rolling road

bought him after many years see my mate matt (marcher) play with his, so sold the house and bought him !!!
looking forward to many good times away with the wife and kids :D :D

will put some more pics up this weekend if it dry

hope to meet some of you around and about at aircooled

cheers

si and bernard

photo1_zps16f2cb3d.jpg

Latest posts