New to EarlyBay ? Say Hi here ...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheers for that happy with the roof, well I will be all the bits bought are for sailing so seriously waterproof.

Checking out a scrappie for a box or will go jk if I have too heritage don't have them.

Chatted to Alex about mine before.

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t1.0-9/1656416_10203083081181764_784386652_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net...1764_784386652_n.jp on the waterfront Bosham

Hi everyone. Just a quick intro...... i'm new on here and will soon be in the market for an early bay. Me and my girlfriend have wanted one for an age, and now decided to finally take the plunge. Its going to be used as my daily drive, although i don't travel far to work. We hope to get out most weekends throughout the summer months, with a couple of holidays thrown in for good measure. My main question is, what size engine is best for what i need... are the 1.6 engines poor for travelling any distance?
I'm hoping to get one that is structually sound with a decent motor, cosmetically inside and out isn't that important, as i can spray, as i restore lambretta scooters, and the interior i can quite happily have a go at!
Finally, what will i expect to pay for such a bus? Many thanks for your time in advance... Nige. :D

Hi, Well not new but not been very active on here so thought I'd say hi.

I'm Al. I have a 1970 camper, it’s seen better days underneath, and I’m not going for concourse but am cutting off as much as I dare and welding up the chassis. Plan to coat in Epoxy Mastic and put the belly pans back on (bolt not weld)

It’s been on its side for about a year, only really just started ploughing into it due to baby on the way in November, want to get it to a sprayer by the turn this autumn.

Purchased most of the parts and interior now

Here is some photos.

http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/alan5/slideshow/vw%20rebuild" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi folks, I've been a member of the forum for a couple of weeks now so it's about time I introduced myself. My name is Gaz, & have owned a couple of vans and bugs over the years. After thinking it would be unlikely I would ever own another bus I took the plunge again & bought Macey, an Australian '72 panelvan, which had been "camperised".
2d981e68e13b0b307d64a60b311edb34_zpscf27dd1c.jpg

30149999e0dcce3d4085971dee762648_zps91b55bf2.jpg

58c52f2bba8376d2c6ee96f3781f8311_zpsf0439a62.jpg

As can be seen, she is a bit ripe - but hopefully should be a little more useable by next year.

Cheers
Gaz

Nice pi is that one Matt 48, not quite sure why I like it, maybe it`s just because it`s different . :mrgreen:

66nige said:
Hi everyone. Just a quick intro...... i'm new on here and will soon be in the market for an early bay. Me and my girlfriend have wanted one for an age, and now decided to finally take the plunge. Its going to be used as my daily drive, although i don't travel far to work. We hope to get out most weekends throughout the summer months, with a couple of holidays thrown in for good measure. My main question is, what size engine is best for what i need... are the 1.6 engines poor for travelling any distance?
I'm hoping to get one that is structually sound with a decent motor, cosmetically inside and out isn't that important, as i can spray, as i restore lambretta scooters, and the interior i can quite happily have a go at!
Finally, what will i expect to pay for such a bus? Many thanks for your time in advance... Nige. :D

Hiya 66 Nige, you`ve just asked the 64 million dollar questions. These busses are brilliant for doing distances with the 1.6 engine so long as they are well looked after and really really brought right up to spec, and the other thing you have to be aware of is that these are slow but sure, mostly stick to fifty five to sixty if you don`t want to cane / kill your bus. These are not modern motor cars with long service intervals and high spec / high horsepower motors. Because these were so cheap at one time, a lot of these have had twenty or thirty years of abuse and neglect and it`s not always easy to spot a bodged up one. There is a nice one for sale in pristine condition and it`s on its way over from the States as we speak, possibly one of the best examples for sale we`ve seen for a little while, I`m guessing it will fetch twenty to twenty five thousand pounds when he sells it as it is a rare beast in that it dosen`t seem to have been molested in any way shape or form the chaps name is Mr Old Bug (Randy). This is where my money would be going if I was starting again. At the other end of the spectrum, I don`t think you will get very much bus for your money for much less than twelve grand if you will use it as your daily as well., but rust issues are the main thing, not so much paint or mechanicals or fixings, but these old guys have forty plus years of rust waiting to burst out of the seams unless it`s a hot climate import like the one I mentioned above, but these are getting fewer as well. So best advise as always is get as much bus as you can afford :mrgreen:
And GAZ, good pics mate and I spotted you`ve stripped him out now as well and yes you are right,, it`ll take a lot longer to get him back together again than it did to strip him out :lol:

Welcome to all of you, and sorry it`s a bit quiet on the forum at the moment but the big reason for that is that a lot of the peeps on here are actually using the vans for what they were made for, and lots are away doing the camping thing. Good luck to them today with the weather forecast down on the South and West coasts :shock: :? :shock: i think there will be lots of tumble dryers on the go this evening :roll: And that`s why we love it.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Bigso Welcome and join in :mrgreen:

Hi folks, another newbie - but haven't actually taken the plunge yet!

I'm in Derbyshire and have my eye on a rather nice original 1968 Dormobile, which having seen it, seems like a good un with minimal rust and low number of owners. Shabby, but much more honest than the tarted up late Bay I had a look at, and it's all enjoyable stuff to do. So it looks like one to have so I think I'll be joining the ranks very soon! Have posted elsewhere in this forum but am likely to be looking for some advice on engine swaps too!

Thanks all, happy camping,
Rich

[photobucket[/photobucket]:D Hi everyone, I am new to the forum.....so I better let you all know what bus I drive, I have a 1969 registered Pearl white LHD Westfalia Campmobile which I have owned for getting on for 10 years......at times it has made me mad and frustrated, but overall it has given me many many good times......for all it's faults I wouldn't swap it for the world.

I am in the Malvern area, so if any one needs help or assistance in anyway, just ask
Cheers :D

Hi all,
It was MOT day today........been dreading it for ages. My camper hasn't been up to much in the last year, mainly parked up...so this morning when I drove it to the garage I was sure it was going to be bad news...mainly cos the brakes were making some noise rubbing the drums......oh well, I knew I should have taken her for a run beforehand . A few hours later the phone rang and it was the man from the garage ( here we go I thought, give me the bad news).......but I nearly fell over when he told me it had passed......I'm still in shock :shock: .....although I have spent all evening with a stupid grin on my face which I can't get rid of.......happy days :D :D :D

Hi there and welcome you two, Happy Days indeed when we sail through the mot and the man from the station,``He Say Yes`,, That`s another year of contentment 8) 8) 8) And Rich,, that sounds like a bit of what I`d like too, but if you ain`t sure, don`t go in with rose tinted glasses as most of us do, take someone with you that knows their onions / vw vans because it`s dead easy to say oh it`s just a tiny bit of rust here and a tiny bit there,, because in real life most of it is connected,, but if it`s a good un buy it run it and love it :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, And an extra special summer time welcome to you both :mrgreen:

rustybay said:
Hi new to the site

I have a 1969 camper and a 1970 bus

Hi there and welcome to the site, see if you can pop up some pics so we can have a little paroose of your two fine vee hickles. Glad you`ve come to join us :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Two is just plain greedy :lol: ;) :lol:

rustybay said:
Trying to post pics
But having trouble

Hiya, go to the top of the page and hit the FAQ`s, come down a bit and it says `Can I post pictures` click on that and it tells you how, the nuts and bolts of it though, are that you need to use someone like photo bucket or similar to host the pics and then you can post them :mrgreen

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, Hit me with them piccies :lol:

Hiya ......

First post here :roll:

I purchased 'Foxy' early August, and we traveled in her to Cornwall for two weeks and covered 1000 miles + with many many 18% climbs and decents

Im so so happy with her :p

Hi to Mark and Hi to Jorge, Welcome to the friendliest forum on the VW `scene` . Nice of you to show us your busses and I got to say they look a couple of stunning examples. They both look to be in safe hands and are being used which is what they are for and that`s what it`s all about. We seem to be reaching even further and further afield with busses from all over the world even Kent :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Keep those pictures coming guys :mrgreen:

Hi, my names Aaron and im new to this site, I am living in the Cambridgeshire area.

I have a 71 bay deluxe import which im currently in the process of doing up.

Great forum with lots of good advice.

Latest posts