New to EarlyBay ? Say Hi here ...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So glad I have come across this site! SO many ideas already!

Just agreed to buy our first campervan today!

Picking it up in just over a week, and couldn't be more excited!

Lots of ideas for it already, but will continue to look on here for inspiration.

Any suggestions for what I should do first? Events to visit? Websites to look at? Things to help it keep going for years to come?

Roger

Thanks for that - think it has had the Waxoyl done, if I remember right, but I will certainly do the other bits and pieces - love it already!

:D

Hiya Roger, van looks great as it is. DON`T change nuffink !! TLC and run it as it is for a while and go to as many events as you can and check out other busses for ideas that will or won`t work. The last thing you want to do is change something and regret it a year or two later. As Adey said, just try and prolong the lifespan of the van with regular maintenance and don`t be afraid to go OTT with the oil changes etc. There`s a search function on here and most things have been covered at sometime or another but don`t be afraid to ask as there`s some super smart cookies on here :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, and enjoy :mrgreen:

Thanks for that Ozziedog - was really glad to find the forum - as I know I will need the help!

Looking forward to going to some events - went to Volksworld and enjoyed that, so thinking about the next one now!

Thanks again :D

Hi all!

Just another vw tragic here. Oh and blues music, bike riding, surfing.

Mostly vw's and playing music. Anyways, i have just acquired what i believe is a 68. More details when i get to and hang out with it again. My daily is a 75 and although i admit i love "Hubert" i have always been a fan of the early bays.

Looking forward to scrolling through the extensive forum posts on here as i have already learnt many things.

Cheers everybody.

Morning Benyharp, and more importantly welcome to you. Love the description too :mrgreen: I`m not quite sure how you came to that but I think it would make an excellent song possibly because it rhymes with magic. We`ll have to work on that one around a camp fire somewhere, and possibly with the aid of a beverage or two, maybe try not to make it sound like a Sting cover :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Summers just about here,,, woooo hooooo!!!! :mrgreen:

Hello,

I'm just joining for a brief spell (from over on http://www.uksaabs.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) as I am helping my mother in law sell her early bay. It's lovely but I have hit a minor technical snag and I am hoping for some friendly advice. Many of you people have some lovely vans, I'm pretty jealous and would love to keep the one that I'm helping with but it carries too many memories of her late husband to be kept unfortunately.

Looking forward to learning plenty in the few weeks I will be about.

Cheers!

Sent from my Windows Phone

Hi Rob, welcome for as long as you like. It`s a shame not to be able to keep this van, but needs must etc etc. Ask away with any questions that arise and I`m sure if you pop them up on the technical section, we`ll do our level best to help.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

Hi,
New to the forum, and the world of Volkswagen in general (unless the fact that one of my work colleagues has a Golf counts?!)
...but am off to look at, and hopefully purchase, an Early Bay tomorrow.
A bit excited, a bit scared, and a bit worried that I might be mad. But mostly excited.
With luck, the next time I post on here, I'll be the proud owner of a 1972 Cream and Maroon Early Bay.
Any advice from that point on will be extremely welcome!

Hi there Scrooge 95, good luck with the purchase but please don`t go looking at it with rose coloured glasses. Whatever a repair looks like it might cost,,,, well just times it by ten and that`ll be closer, Don`t be frightened to bang up a picture for us to give it a once over. Never buy a van by yourself unless you know them inside out, always but always take someone with you, preferably someone who knows a bit about these beasties. That said, most of us don`t and most of us spend the rest of our lives repairing them :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Goooooooood luck bud, and welcome :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
Hi there Scrooge 95, good luck with the purchase but please don`t go looking at it with rose coloured glasses. Whatever a repair looks like it might cost,,,, well just times it by ten and that`ll be closer, Don`t be frightened to bang up a picture for us to give it a once over. Never buy a van by yourself unless you know them inside out, always but always take someone with you, preferably someone who knows a bit about these beasties. That said, most of us don`t and most of us spend the rest of our lives repairing them :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Goooooooood luck bud, and welcome :mrgreen:
Hi Ozziedog,
Thanks for the welcome! I'm hoping to use the forum a lot, but for now I'm afraid I am Bay-less. I'm quite impressed with myself that I said No today - so desperate am I to own one of these lovely beasts - but I took off the rose tinted specs and realised some things are not to be. A lot of issues painted over, and I don't have the money or skill to be tackling body-work myself. *sigh*
.......I guess my next post will be in the WANTED! section. :(

Bad luck bud, at least you know in your heart that you didn`t get something that was gonna end up being a major resto and costing you a lot of heartache and mucho dinero :shock: If you have any vans in mind, don`t be frightened to ask for someone to come and look with you, some of the guys and gals might do this, also depends where you are, where the van is, and if anyone is available / willing / able to go with you.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Reckon you done the right thing :mrgreen:

hi every one my name is ali im from algeira and i like campervan i hav a earlybay 1971 im about to get it restored so the first thing im gona do is rmove every thing to worck the body so i need some help how to rmove everything starting with the motor and transmition ..........
here is a vedeo of my van
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psj8nGI1bdw[/youtube]

tchikoali said:
hi every one my name is ali im from algeira and i like campervan i hav a earlybay 1971 im about to get it restored so the first thing im gona do is rmove every thing to worck the body so i need some help how to rmove everything starting with the motor and transmition ..........
here is a vedeo of my van
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psj8nGI1bdw[/youtube]

Hi Ali, welcome to the forum, I`m not sure if we have had anyone from Algeria before, so you `may` be our first Algerian on the Early Bay forum. Try to get loads of pictures up before you start the restoration and any of the work, and maybe start your own restoration thread so we can see the progress. Good luck with it matey :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, We pretty much got this planet covered :lol:

Hi all,
after lurking for ages on here I thought it about time I said hello.....
My name is Renee Bus and I am a 1971 UK RHD Dormobile in Neptune blue. I have been with my current family for 9 years now and they do look after me!
I am all original except for a red9 lowering kit and CSP gear shifter with Ansen-type alloys to bling me up a bit.
I have a standard 1600 with twin weber 34ICTs and every year I do about 2000 miles travelling the UK to various sites and events around Scotland and the North of England mainly.
I should get my owner to get a picture up of me sometime soon shouldn't I?
I'll ask him - though it might take a while as he's a lazy git!
Cheers for now,
Renee Bus

New around here thought I best say hello
After owning splits and other VWs for the last 10 or so years I have finally seen the light and hope to be a early bay owner in the very near future

Lambretta-tom said:
New around here thought I best say hello
After owning splits and other VWs for the last 10 or so years I have finally seen the light and hope to be a early bay owner in the very near future

Sounds like a result then Tom, let`s hope it materialises. Good luck bud with the purchase :mrgreen: Big big welcome toyou bud. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, And don`t forget the piccies :mrgreen:

Latest posts