New to EarlyBay ? Say Hi here ...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everybody...
New to this site and new to Bays.. loved them all my life and just bought one from a mate.. all done an beautifull, I LOVE IT...... gunna get some pics together an let you check her out.. vanfest next week our first event.. ace. gotta learn all the lingo, at the risk of sounding a dick whats a "crossover"..???

hi and welcome, get pics up fast. a crossover was the model inbetween the early and late bays. low front lights, big tail lights etc. but you'll soon catch on :lol:

Hello all,
New to the site, but have been lurking for awhile. Really enjoy this site and excited about all the focus on the early bays.

I currently have a 1969 Westy and 1971 Westy that are total projects. A relative gave them to me for free and I had to pull them out of his woods where they've been sitting for 15+ years. Thought they would be impossible, but have been encouraged by all that has been done on this site. I love the can-do attitude around here!

Started work on the 1971 first, as it will be the boys camper, the 69 will be for the girls in the family and my wife already has grand plans for it. I've already hit a few road blocks with the 71 Westy, but I will post about those elsewhere.

I got my first bus, Sonnie, a 1970 when I was 15, and then bought a 74 Westy for my girlfriend (now my wife) when we were 17. When I was 19 I made a decision that is the only regret of my life and sold my 1970 bus (I got rid of the 74 after 8 months of frustration).

Anway, so I guess I am trying to redeem myself with these two new westies. Hopefully they will be ready for my two boys and two girls by the time they can drive (gives me at least 11 years).

Glad to be here, look forward to any help I can give or receive.

Sample_59.jpg

Original resting place
Sample_63.jpg

Lots of work to do, looked alot better after a clean up
Sample_77.jpg

*(couldn't get these photos to work, does picasaweb not work on here? edit-put on photobook)

Hi all

After driving split buses for 17 years my wife and I bought our first baywindow a few weeks ago,
a 1969 SO67R Westfalia.

I only recently found this site after buying the new bay and I'm enjoying the forums.

We met the bus for the first time when we picked it up from our engine builders last Friday and
headed out immediately on our first road trip. I'll talk about that and post my pics elsewhere. Meanwhile,
here are some pics we got from the seller (we bought it sight unseen; the price was worth the risk).

375637.jpg

375645.jpg

375644.jpg

375643.jpg

375638.jpg

375639.jpg

375640.jpg

375641.jpg

375642.jpg

hello fig and welcome, ace bus 8)

Dear all,

I'm new to the forum, was taken in by the interesting banter, nice pics and goodies.........Waltroud is our 1971 not very original Dormobile, also the name of a long dead Austrian aunt.. pronounced something like 'Valtroud' or if you like old trout in slang. Anyway, she's an early bay that i am attempting to unrestore from the previous bodges and re do. Currently i've copied and remade kitchen from birch ply, lowered with lowered spring plates (great ride at rear) nits of welding, 1600TP, solar power, rnr bed bluebird buddy seats and seatbelts and fire entinguishers everywhere (old viking dies in fire after vanfest on a40 about 5 yrs ago!)
I'm in North london if anyone is local...often willing to lend a hand or even a welder if kids, job etc allow.
cheers

Cheers Justin and Mutley, don't spose you're the Justin at Liphook/Petersfield way with the gift for lowering? just wondering as he's the only person I've entrusted my van to apart from self for works...

waltraud said:
Cheers Justin and Mutley, don't spose you're the Justin at Liphook/Petersfield way with the gift for lowering? just wondering as he's the only person I've entrusted my van to apart from self for works...

Not me I'm afraid - I've heard great things about him, though! He spells his name Justyn rather than Justin I believe :D

;)

Hello guys and gals,

I'd like to introduce myself. Well actually ourselves really. Me and my hubby have recently landed back in blighty after far too long away and the first thing we did was buy a lovely early 72 Devon. Underneath seems sound and so does most of the bodywork, engine is leaky but runs well, interior needs sorting out but generally it's pretty good and we love it.

We are both really looking forward to fixing up all the things that need fixing up and adding our own personal touches to the rest. And it's great fun to get my hands dirty again.

I'm also looking forward to talking to you all and hopefully in person one day at one of the meets.

I'm just learning about bays so at first I'll be asking you guys for advice but hopefully after a while I'll be able to repay your help.

Oh also I'm going to Dubbing in Dorset this weekend, anyone else from here going?

Sprouty

Sprouty said:
Hello guys and gals,

I'd like to introduce myself. Well actually ourselves really. Me and my hubby have recently landed back in blighty after far too long away and the first thing we did was buy a lovely early 72 Devon. Underneath seems sound and so does most of the bodywork, engine is leaky but runs well, interior needs sorting out but generally it's pretty good and we love it.

We are both really looking forward to fixing up all the things that need fixing up and adding our own personal touches to the rest. And it's great fun to get my hands dirty again.

I'm also looking forward to talking to you all and hopefully in person one day at one of the meets.

I'm just learning about bays so at first I'll be asking you guys for advice but hopefully after a while I'll be able to repay your help.

Oh also I'm going to Dubbing in Dorset this weekend, anyone else from here going?

Sprouty

Greetings Sprouty. I'd love to go to Dubbing in Dorset this weekend, but the Mrs is back at work after a week off for VF and we have our own club camping weekend next week.

Hi all, been watching the site for some time & gained some knowledge :shock: So I thought I'd better join. Have a 72 crossover with Viking roof :( Will post some pic's in the morning. Have booked it in T2D for dropping at the end of the month & have a set of Empi 5 spokes in the garage ready to go on.
Anybody used T2d for lowering, good or bad?

Lang said:
Hi all, been watching the site for some time & gained some knowledge :shock: So I thought I'd better join. Have a 72 crossover with Viking roof :( Will post some pic's in the morning. Have booked it in T2D for dropping at the end of the month & have a set of Empi 5 spokes in the garage ready to go on.
Anybody used T2d for lowering, good or bad?

Hello Lang - welcome aboard! Looking forward to seeing the pics of your bus as my sisters' old bay had a monster Viking roof! :D

As for T2D - I've only ever heard good things about them!

;)

Hello Lang, welcome :D

Take it you dont like the viking roof :lol:

They are big and ideal for families you can always sell it on and fit something more suited to your lifestyle....

Any plans for the bus??

Hi, the roof is horrible, we,ve put up with it for 3 years & now it's time to go. Can't decide what to do, ragtop or find a smaller one. We don't even lift it up as it leaks like a sieve :oops:

Lang said:
Hi, the roof is horrible, we,ve put up with it for 3 years & now it's time to go. Can't decide what to do, ragtop or find a smaller one. We don't even lift it up as it leaks like a sieve :oops:

My Sis got rid of theirs because it was too big/ugly - but the van could sleep six at a push :shock: - they went for a Devon second time around and they're really chuffed with it... horses for courses I guess...

;)

Latest posts