New user guide

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davecosford

Reaction score
So I'm four trips into ownership of the bus and have some very basic questions for all you seasoned owners

1. I leave a couple of drips of oil on the garage floor over 2 weeks. Is this an acceptable level of drippage or should I aim for bone dry.

2. I'm pretty much completely standard engine wise. What's an appropriate top crusing speed. I'm sticking to mid fifties.

3. My first car was a mini and like all minis it had a distinctive petrol smell inside. My bus has the same whiff of petrol/old cupboards. Is this normal?

4. The heater control.. designed by Mr Rubik? Is there a favoured setting people use?

5. Best awning recommendations? We have a vango thing but it's not very pretty. Not sure we want to go vintage

6. Any recommendations for a good garage near Hertford to look after the service side?

That's it for the newbie questions. Really not a fan of the oily bits (I know maybe not the best choice of vehicle) but love everything else about it

1. I leave a couple of drips of oil on the garage floor over 2 weeks. Is this an acceptable level of drippage or should I aim for bone dry.

Yes that’s acceptable. Dry is an aspiration that few ever achieve.

2. I'm pretty much completely standard engine wise. What's an appropriate top crusing speed. I'm sticking to mid fifties.

That’s about right. Maybe 60 but go on feel and how it sounds etc. If your happy at that speed then you won’t go far wrong.

3. My first car was a mini and like all minis it had a distinctive petrol smell inside. My bus has the same whiff of petrol/old cupboards. Is this normal?

Yep. No air fresheners get rid of old bus smell. Embrace it.

4. The heater control.. designed by Mr Rubik? Is there a favoured setting people use?

Assuming they are connected, the red is hot and blue is cold. Hot depends on the state of your heating system. Cold depends on the weather and how fast you are going.

5. Best awning recommendations? We have a vango thing but it's not very pretty. Not sure we want to go vintage

I use an original canvas Westfalia awning. It’s heavy and complicated but also lovely. I can see the attraction of lightweight inflatable awnings etc but hey, the same applies to modern T6 camper vans right?

6. Any recommendations for a good garage near Hertford to look after the service side?

Try Larry at Retro Custom?

https://www.retrocustom.com/mainportal/

As above, except for item 1.
They didn't leak from the factory, so they shouldn't leak now. Usual suspects are rocker cover gaskets, oil cooler seals and sump drain plate. If it leaks from the engine case then a poor engine builder has had his hands on it.
Item 3 - it shouldn't smell of fuel, especially inside. So unless you're stood right by the filler cap (where the early bus tank breather exits) right after filling, check this out straight away.

Yeah, on reflection petrol smells should be investigated and sorted out, but the old musty smells of wood, seat stuffing and vinyl are overpowering. :)

Also agree essentially about the oil leaks, but choose your battles carefully. If you can eliminate a small leak by correctly torquing your sump plate nuts or replacing rocker cover gaskets etc then do so, but I'd live with a few drops over time rather than pull an engine to replace a flywheel o ring or similar.

Thanks for the replies

Our other cars are both electric so the smell of petrol is an unfamiliar one which may heighten the awareness. I think it's more of a background smell rather than an avoiding naked flames smell but I'll take a look for pipes and drips. It could also be mixed with the oily smell too.

The 'top' of the engine is lovely and clean so maybe I'll give the 'bottom" a good clean to track down the leak......you can see I've nailed the technical side of this. I really need to break out a Haynes manual and get familiar with engines again to prepare for the inevitable

If you see a green bus at the side of the road in the Norfolk area over the weekend feel free to stop and give me a push

Welcome! The fuel smell could be from the filler neck esp. if you notice it more after you've filled up to the top. Mine smells a bit after I've driven it and let it stand for a bit, I assume this is the carbs (IDF40s) still full of fuel, it's not too bad and on my list, so could be the carb(s).

Welcome! The fuel smell could be from the filler neck esp. if you notice it more after you've filled up to the top. Mine smells a bit after I've driven it and let it stand for a bit, I assume this is the carbs (IDF40s) still full of fuel, it's not too bad and on my list, so could be the carb(s).
See my previous post.
"So unless you're stood right by the filler cap (where the early bus tank breather exits) right after filling, check this out straight away."

Thanks for the replies

Our other cars are both electric so the smell of petrol is an unfamiliar one which may heighten the awareness. I think it's more of a background smell rather than an avoiding naked flames smell but I'll take a look for pipes and drips. It could also be mixed with the oily smell too.

The 'top' of the engine is lovely and clean so maybe I'll give the 'bottom" a good clean to track down the leak......you can see I've nailed the technical side of this. I really need to break out a Haynes manual and get familiar with engines again to prepare for the inevitable

If you see a green bus at the side of the road in the Norfolk area over the weekend feel free to stop and give me a push
Seriously lovely bus you have Dave!!
Green bus envy 😁

See my previous post.
"So unless you're stood right by the filler cap (where the early bus tank breather exits) right after filling, check this out straight away."
Sorry, I should have been more explicit, I was thinking of a perished/damaged filler neck. I was chatting to an owner a few weeks ago and they said they never fill their tank to the top as the filler neck leaked.

Don't forget its also really hot at the moment and petrol evaporates readily. These vehickes are old and not as sealed as new vehicles. Any vapours will expand and find anywhere to escape even if its from the filler cap. That said checking is always a good idea.

A nice new good fitting/sealing petrol cap might be worth it too. Mine pongs a bit after filling especially if I don't seat the cap properly. If engine is out any time take opportunity to change the breathing tubes and filler neck.

Another possible source of oil leaks is the pushrod tube seals, which perish over time. Go under your bus and look up past the bottom tinware plates and you'll see them. If they're oily, that'll be it. I've seen a YouTube video which shows you can remove them without taking the engine out, as they have concertina sections at both ends, but I did mine when I had the engine out for other things.

No engine should leak oil, Ever. If it leaks and leaves drips then there is an issue which needs addressing. Both my bus & bug have had leaks over the years but I’ve always fixed them asap.

Most coming oil leaks:
Rocker covers
Sump plate
Oil cooler seals
Oil pump gasket
Rear main crank seal
Push rod tubes.

A stock bus with a healthy engine will sit at 55-60 all day.

I’ve got an airbeam awning for my bus, not cheap but it’s up in 10 mins, is sturdy and saves a lot of bickering with the enemy at shows or in the middle of campsites 😂

Petrol smell inside is not normal and could be breather/ filler pipes, but make sure all your petrol hose from tank to carb is sound.
As far as the awning goes it’s down to personal choice. The old ones are nicer looking up harder to put up and the newer ones are the opposite. I’ve also got a Vango airbeam awning with two inflatable beams that support it. It takes us about 20 mins to put up. I suppose how much you use the awning and if you camp in all sorts of weather makes a difference. On our recent trip to Orkney we didn’t take the awning because we moved on every day or two and didn’t need it. If you have kids with you it’s slightly different then.

Latest posts