New Westy owner

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridingmac

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm a new and proud owner of a 1970 Westy. Currently with a 1600cc engine. I was also give a second engine with a fraction of the mileage but he is unsure if it is a 1700cc or 1800cc. He was told it came from a better when he got it but not sure. He did have it in his 79 Westy for a while. I'm wondering any tips to help identify this engine if tags are missing.?? .

Second question. He also told me he had issues with the valve cover retainers. I was going to change em but was told there was a better and more solid alternative to them but found nothing online. I'm mechanic with 10 years experience but never with vw. Specifically not west's. Thanks in advance for help.

e9352ab34c390b857f0871992259b243.jpg

Nice van :D

If' it's a 1700 or an 1800 it's likely to be a type 4 especially if he had it in his 79. It wont fit in without a fair bit of modification

A problem with the valve cover retainers? They are only bent pieces of metal bar, can't imagine what the issue would be but new covers and retainers are available at all the usual suspects... VW Heritage, Just Kampers, Cool Air VW, Machine7 etc.

You can purchase 'bolt on' covers but I believe they don't seal very well due to different expansion rates; stick with what VW designed, it works well.

Good luck with the van :)

And what did you mean by modification. Like bell housing won't fit. Motor mount etc??

Ridingmac said:
And what did you mean by modification. Like bell housing won't fit. Motor mount etc??

The engine bay in vans up to/including 1971 is smaller, with the chassis rails at the rear closer together. They enlarged it in 1972 to fit the 1700 engines.

1971 (with non standard carbs/air filter etc):
DSC_9475.jpg

1972:
1972-typ-2-t2-krankenwagen-1b.jpg

:)

Actually unless it's not the original engine. My engine looks pretty exactly the same as your 1972

I'll post a picture when I get home

Ahhhh never mind. I didn't see your non standard carb air filter comment lollll. Now I see the difference. Yea... I'll settle for rebuilding the 1600. Any website suggestion for ordering parts in Canada. Cip1.com has rebuild kits for 1600cc bug engines. Will it work with my 1600
:mrgreen:

Ridingmac said:
Ahhhh never mind. I didn't see your non standard carb air filter comment lollll. Now I see the difference. Yea... I'll settle for rebuilding the 1600. Any website suggestion for ordering parts in Canada. Cip1.com has rebuild kits for 1600cc bug engines. Will it work with my 1600
:mrgreen:

Yes, it's the metalwork and chassis rails around the engines that differ :)

Beetle 1600 engines are essentially the same as bus ones, certainly all the major bits are the same. From the factory, Beetle engines didn't have the mountings for the engine support bar, but aftermarket crankcases do. :)

So basically a rebuild kit for a bettle would be identical to a bus minus a few gaskets? :)

http://www.cip1.ca/searchresults.asp?cat=1471" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yup, no reason all that wouldn't work on your engine. Does your engine need any or all of it though? :)

I rebuilt the 1600 in my bus and didn't need to replace most of those items... :)

Yea well the engine in my Westy has like 500 000km so I wanna rebuild it completely

Fair enough. Don't forget that the quality of some reproduction parts (tinware, for example) is rubbish compared to the originals, so do your homework before buying :)

Latest posts