Newby trying to spray paint!!!!!!!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gninnam

Reaction score
Help!:eek:

Decided to give it ago today, so prepared everything as I think you should (plastic sheets around the sides of the garage and on the floor. Cleaned the part to be painted thoroughly. Mixed the paint thoroughly - Rustoleum).

No instruction with the gun so just used it as it was!First question - what is the 2 knobs for - the one at the back and the one at the side?
DSCF0007.jpg

When it sprayed the fist blow over seemed ok, then I noticed some 'bits'. What are these or what could have casued these?
DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0001.jpg

Hope someone can help as once I have done this in undercoar I will need to do it in the final coat.
Once this has been done I can then get onto spraying my poptop and get it fixed up and on:)

Cheers

looks like you have water in the air line, if it was silicon or "fisheye" it shouldnt have affected the workbench.

make sure there is a filter inline on the airline

make sure there are no contaminates in the paint ( what did you clean the gun with)

wipe every thing down with panel wipe, its like a mild thinners so cleans any unseen bits off , wax grease or silicon.

dont try to paint if its too cold, it wont work. at the same time dont heat the area with a naked flame as the paint/thinner mix is highly flammable

id clean all that off and have another go, remember a few light coats is much better than a few thick ones

regarding the knobs, one at the back shold be mixture, one at the front affects the spray "fan"
hope that helps
C :wink:

Cheers chaps!

The gun itself wasn't cleaned, just the pot (with white spirit).
The garage isn't heated and I didn't have a filter in place so will get one
tomorrow!.

It's currently around 6C at the mo. What is the minimum temp
recommended for painting then as I need to get the poptop painted by
the end of next month at the latest, so that it can be installing it and
starting the work to get it through it's MOT :roll:

White spirit isn't necessarily a good idea as it can leave an oily residue behind - acetone (nail varnish remover) or alcohol/thinners would be best.
As for temperature, it should say on the paint tin how low you can go - remember that if you choose to use a heater you would be better off with an electric model (fan heater type) as it creates a 'dry' heat, rather than the 'damp' heat you can get from a gas heater (moisture is your enemy when painting!). Good luck!

white sprit is definatly the culprit
wash your gun out with thinners and dry it well.

Would celulose thinners do for cleaning the gun and pot?
The paint I got was mixed and doesn't come with instructions regarding
temperature etc.
I know that white spirits have to be added to the paint to thin it.
Or am I doing it wrong (taken from the Vzi thread for painting...)

Cheers

Cellulose thinners would be perfect for cleaning your gun etc (make sure your painting/prep area is ventilated as thinners isn't very good for your lungs or eyes!).
Are you sure that it is white spirit you should be using for thinning the paint? Presumably it's an oil based paint you are applying?
A quick look at your pictures does seem to indicate some light contamination (oil spots) which would arise from a dirty gun/gear rather than the wrong thinning agent - my advice would be to clean your gear thoroughly, re-prep your work, remix your paint as before, test spray some cardboard or something similar, then give it a go!
Good luck - let us know how you get on... :)

Just looked on the Rustoleum website and saw this - are you sure you've got oil-based paint there?
"My can of oil based paint seems a little thick. Can I thin it?
Yes. For brush/roller as well s as spray gun applications acetone can be used for thinning. Mineral spirits can be used for clean up only due to clean air regulations."
Might be worth checking...

Cheers J&M. Will double check (may ring Avenue Paints who I bought it off on Monday and ask their advice regards thinners) :D

Another point I meant to make is that White spirit isn't necessarily the right mineral spirit (it's a bit rough and ready!) - your paint guy should be able to supply something a bit more refined (excuse the pun!).
Glad to help!
J&M

Spoke to Avenue Paints (who supplied the Rustoleum paint & undercoat)
and asked if whitespirits would be OK as a thinner - he said yes, but they
recommended a particular barnd that works better (can't remember
the name but at £16 for 5 litres plus £11 delivery :eek: )

Anyhow, bought a filter and tried again today with better results (sanded
down the vent first):

04.jpg

03.jpg

02.jpg

Plus, here's a shot of the garage - all lined with shrink wrap plastic - thick
and big (a bit like me!!):

01.jpg

Will try and sand it down a tad, then giv it a couple of top coats :D

That garage looks a bit like a scene from snatch :shock:

Latest posts