Newly built engine - massive failure :-( Oil everywhere!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dickie524

Reaction score
Hi all,

well, new one on me. I have a newly rebuilt engine in my van - well, built about a year ago but less than 150 miles since.

Anyway, van has been parked a while, whilst I did some interior work, but I put a battery on it to move it yesterday afternoon - all was well - apart from I noticed it 'heavy' and reluctant to start for a freshly charged battery. Anyway, it got there in the end, and I backed it round the fornt yard and parked it up - about 30 yds total. Kept cutting out, but I thought it might be cos it was cold.

Anyway, when I stopped, there were massive oil trails where I had driven, and I opened the engine lid to find the engine compartment swimming in oil - which had obviously not been there 2 mins earlier when I pt the battery on! It was dripping down from the roof, all over the left and all over tha battery I had just fitted, plus literally litres sloshing about and pouring out all over the drive. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say it had all blown out of the vent tube next to the oil filler. Spray all over the place.

Is it totally buggered - i.e am I looking at a warranty claim/ rebuild etc - could it be anything simple?

It looked far too dramatic to be anything simple!

Post some pics of the engine and the oil - was it overfilled?

Will see what I've got - it wasn't overfilled, and had driven it about 20 miles absolutely fine before I parked it for ~6 weeks...

After 'the event' the Oil light came on ( obviosuly wasn't on previously), and there was just enough to wet the end of the dipstick...

Will post pics soon when I've dicked about with memory cards etc...

Here we (don't) go...

IMG_2785.jpg
[/url]

[/img]

Rats.

Have worked out total distance since rebuild is certainly less than 120 miles and MAY even be sub-100...

:suicide:

From the pictures it looks like it is contained to the right hand side (as you look in to the engine bay), correct? Most likely the breather tubes.

Stu's suggestion of the oil level being too high would have been my first guess, but seeing as you've said that's not the case then my next guess at thus stage would be your oil pressure relief valve is at fault.

Thanks - yep, all over the RHS of the engine bay... Level was fine when it was parked (i know cos it was just back from a tune-up!) - and wasn't topped up until I moved it. My worry is that it seems to have vomited the entire contents , down to near zero!

Will check out pressure valve... - Ta!

Getting closer - re-checked the oil, which I had thought was only down to a tiny drop - very carefully - turns out it was brim full right up to the very top of the dispstick - hence couldnt see a 'line'

Reason? - oil was full - brim full - of PETROL!

So - oil full of petrol - sticking carb float etc??

:evil:

And THIS, my friend, is why we don't paint engines white.

(I've done the same, it looked AWESOME when I'd finished it, but a trip to Bristol saw it filthy again)

It'll be your fuel pump. there's a diaphragm in there that seperates the fuel from the engine, when that rips.... Your engine fills with petrol. Cheap fix!

Will check that, cheers! Have just done the carbs in case the floats were sticking, all seemed fine. New fuel pump, or are the diaphragm bits available separately? Bearing in mind its only 150 miles old....

That's probably about right. Parts tend to fail when they're old enough that materials have disintegrated or when they're put through some kind of change in circumstances that they weren't built for. Change in circumstances in this instance is that your fuel pump wasn't sitting on a nice warm shelf in a warehouse. Unfortunately that's pretty typical, a lot of the parts you can buy now don't have a hope of lasting.

So, you can buy a rebuild kit if your fuel pump looks like this:

pump01ab_photo1_620px.jpg

If it's a new one however, they're crimped together rather than screwed- you'll need a new pump.

Noted - thanks for that, very helpful dude, as always!

Have ordered a 'top quality replacement' rebuildable one. Not one made in a certain South American shortly to be Olympic state. Which is what my current one is/ was.

In its defence there does appear to be a drain hole in the lower chamber, but the lever arm WAS wet. Then checked and mine does have a 108mm rod so have ordered a new 'correct' but OEM-style one accordingly...

Two problems with repro parts are material selection and quality control...

You can't really get lucky with material selection, but sometimes you will, purely by chance, get a half decent repro part.

new fuel pump fitted - running nicely. oil level noted - watch this space!

How to get rid of a load of oil with petrol in it - and THIS FAR from bonfire night too!!!

Which fuel pump did you go for in the end?
I am looking at getting one as a decent spare!! 8)

I got a VW heritage one I think, it was the rebuildable type:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/113127025D/fuel-pump-t1-t2-1-2-1-6-for-dynamo-rod-best-quality/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But take care if you order one - you need to measure the length of the actuating rod to ensure you get the right type. It just slides out as a smooth fit. I can't remember what length my rod was (oo-err) but I bought the appropriate pump for my dynamo setup...

Cheers mate - have just ordered exactly the same one but for an alternator setup! :D
Mine is ok so far but isnt one you can rebuild! Nice to have a spare with some of the trips we have planned 8)

Latest posts