Nine passenger 1970 Deluxe

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ib-bus

Reaction score
Long story short , my friend told me about a solid bus being sold for a reasonable price and 30 minutes later I was closing the deal on it.
The bus is only 10 minutes from my house , It is a '70 Deluxe that seats nine people.
I am picking it up next tuesday so I will take lots of pictures once it gets home , tonight I was only able to take this sad picture with my mobile.
I am getting the original wheels , rear bumper , spare steering wheel and a box of parts for this resto project that never happened.
Seller says it has a freeway flyer tranny and the engine only needs a carb service to run , a visit to the mechanic will be scheduled to have him go over and make it run.

It's home now and I'm in love , last time I saw her was night time so what a nice surprise it was to see it now at home and looking better than expected.

Don't have plans to lower it but it seems a bit low already , the beetle wheels that are on right now are 15" so once I go back to OG wheels and 14" it may go down a bit more.
I will check to see if the PO did anything with the height.

Here are some interior pictures.

creationblue said:
Love it! Send it over Juan!

I'm not sending nobody my bus :lol:

I just got back from DMV and now it's on my name.
I have an appointment with the mechanic this friday to go over engine , brakes and all electrical work.
It's been parked for 2 years and there are some unfinished work and loose cables on the engine.

mcvw said:
Very nice. Look after that interior - those panels are irreplaceable :)

They are irreplaceable because nothing beats original or because they don't sell them in that color combination anymore ?

Sorry , just new to the Deluxe club :D

I just found out that the wheels on this bus I tought were for beetle are actually early Porsche wheels from the '60s.
The wheels are 15" and have the same bolt pattern as the OG bus wheels.
I am tempted to keep this wheels just to have something different and allow for lower tires , right now it has 165 R 15s compared to 185 R 14s I usually use.
What do you think , Porsches had them chromed usually but I could powder coat this white or even gray to match the interior and have chrome hub caps.
By the way , the hubcaps for '71 and newer fit this wheels not the dome ones for early bays.

On my way to the mechanic shop to have brakes and lights all sorted and the engine properly running , I should be driving this bus next week.

After a visit to she shop yesterday It appears the engine will need a rebuilt , it runs but smokes a bit so they will start working on it right away.
They will get the engine , lights and brakes sorted , hopefully they finish it soon and I can start driving it.

Latest posts