Not strictly Earlybay...but anyone make their own cider?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldrick

Reaction score
Hi all

I have friends who have a small orchard at the bottom of their garden and most years the apples just rot. I'm thinking about trying to make cider.

I know there are a number of cider connoisseurs out there so wondered if you guys make your own?

If so what do I need? Any good recipes?

Thanks

i do check out the homebrew forum, ;)

i also do turbo cider from cartoned apple juice... 8)

Its fairly easy to make, just need to sterilise everything and keep things clean. You dont have to add yeast as it occurs naturally on apple skins. Just make sure you get some air tight demijohns with air locks and your away. I made some last year but only had my old mans beer kit and used the plastic barrels to ferment in with the lids placed on the top. Trouble is there is natural airborn yeast that will get in and turn your lovely apples into cider vinegar :evil:

I took my apple batch to a local cider maker and he pulped and pressed the whole lot for a fiver 8)

If you decide to add yeast to make sure you get fermintaion, you must add a crushed Camden tablet to the juice 1st, this kills the natural yeast, then you can add your yeast as per the instructions, wine makers yeast is a good bet.

The cider should be ready to drink by Christmas, if you can tho leave it till the Spring as the warmer temperatures will cause it to ferment again for a 2nd time and will smooth out the flavour.

Just

I make my own but not this year as my crop has dried up. Made15 gallons last year

It's easy. Just get a lot of apples , chop and crush them then press. Sterilise everything and add pectic enzhyme to kill bugs. Leave 24 hours and add champagne yeast

Leave for 12 months (well I do) and filter, bottle and drink

Good luck

creationblue said:
Its fairly easy to make, just need to sterilise everything and keep things clean. You dont have to add yeast as it occurs naturally on apple skins. Just make sure you get some air tight demijohns with air locks and your away. I made some last year but only had my old mans beer kit and used the plastic barrels to ferment in with the lids placed on the top. Trouble is there is natural airborn yeast that will get in and turn your lovely apples into cider vinegar :evil:

I took my apple batch to a local cider maker and he pulped and pressed the whole lot for a fiver 8)

If you decide to add yeast to make sure you get fermintaion, you must add a crushed Camden tablet to the juice 1st, this kills the natural yeast, then you can add your yeast as per the instructions, wine makers yeast is a good bet.

The cider should be ready to drink by Christmas, if you can tho leave it till the Spring as the warmer temperatures will cause it to ferment again for a 2nd time and will smooth out the flavour.

Just

And don't forget you have to store them in the kids bedrooms by the radiators.... :lol:

Latest posts