novice.. is they any common faults

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtinky say

Reaction score
hi. im planning on buying a bay next year was wanting to know if there is any common faults to look out for and whats best way to fix. sorry if in wrong section.

are there any common faults :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you mad bro

Go LHD rust free unless you like welding.
In original paint so there are no/less hidden horrors.
Change the fuel lines straight away and never fit a filter between the pump n carb.
Theyre being stolen at an alarming rate at the mo so if you get one fit a fuel/electrics cut off switch, tracker, steering lock and what ever else you can afford to stop the thieves from taking your pride and joy.
Dont buy the 1st one you see, take a look at a few so you get an idea what your looking at.
Take a mechanic with you to make sure it isnt a full on lemon.
Try and get to a few VW shows and ask people.
As said before (on this forum) ask people at shows. Most owners are happy to talk to you about their busses.
Decide weather you want a poptop or tintop and stick to it. I love my bus but sometimes i wish it had a poptop.

Well thats a start :mrgreen: . Hopefully many more will pop up with answers on this thread coz ive probably missed loads.

Keep the faith though. Theres nothing better than owning an Earlybay 8) .

Rich

:) lucky im quite handy with cars and do all mechanical work with my cars with my dads help as he has a garage. iv noticed alot are getting stolen im gutted every time i see it. iv already got a few idea's to stop people steeling it.

iv read about the fuel filter thing already as iv been cruising the forum abit.
figured id ask as im no novice to vw's and as good as they are there common faults on all!
by the sound of the first reply every things a problem :p will keep me plenty bussy then i love tinkering so all good.

is they any issue with door handle,locks, window mech's that sort of thing or engine parts that are common to fail.

thanks for the reply's so far guys!
seems like a great forum.:D

Common faults...
Rust, check out the lower 6 inches all around, the battery trays and cab door bottoms. Check the bottom of the windscreen for paint bubbles, same on rear door. Check chassis put riggers and all frame members carefully. Check the roof gutters and walk away if they are in poor shape.

Electricals:
Your bus will have a butchered loom some place! Make sure it looks neat and everything functions.
Ignition switches fail due to high current to starter solenoid, use a relay on this circuit. Fuse boxes turn brittle with age or may be wet due to leaking screen/rust. Horn may be intermittent due to earthing problem in the column.
Dynamo/alternators do fail. The wiring can be brittle due to heat/age and the crimp connectors fail.

Engine:
Make sure you have the oil bath filter if stock, not an aftermarket pancake type.
Ensure all cooling tin is present, especially the deflector plates under the cylinders. Look out for holes in the manifold heat risers.
Check end float!
Look for oil between box and engine, this could be the flywheel crank seal gone. Is the engine clean and loved or a mass of oily crud? Is the oil clean and up to the mark on the dipstick ?
Are the original rocker covers on, avoid chrome crap ones. Any strange noises, does it start easy and tick-over smooth. What is the dizzy ? Try to get stock engine unless it has some tasty tuned engine with all the right bits. Avoid something that has been thrown together from a spares bin.

Mechanical:
Pretty robust really. Ball joints ok? No splits in rubber? Same with CV joints. Is the suspension level side to side front to back ? Lookout for broken torsion bars. If lowered how? Does to look neat and tidy, clean welds etc..
Steering box play, not too sloppy.
Brakes, firm and pull up square ?

Interior:
Original is better, but if you are wanting to make your own/custom then this does not matter. Lookout for signed of leaks around windows and pop-top, check for rust again.
Make sure the m-code plate is there and tallies with the van. Ensure the chassis number is on the rear RHS frame just by the air filter stand.

Ask lots of questions!

Try and view in good light and lookout for botched repairs and filler!

Good luck!

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

jtinky say said:
is they any issue with door handle,locks, window mech's that sort of thing or engine parts that are common to fail.
Nope. Most common problem is simply rust.

jtinky say said:
hi. im planning on buying a bay next year was wanting to know if there is any common faults to look out for and whats best way to fix. sorry if in wrong section.

The door handles are, in general, very reliable.

Johnboylaw has pretty much picked the main bits up.

Of course it depends on your budget and you must remember these buses are normally over 40 years old so will inevitably have had some bodywork repairs and other bits and bobs done - main point is you don't want a van that's full of bodge and leaking oil everywhere.

I doubt you'll find one that has no faults or bodywork repairs as johnboylaw has set out for less than 15k ish in the current market but keep on looking - there are sometimes some good left hand drive imports around if you want a left hooker.

You'll know when you find 'your van' but don't buy the first one you see - although it's really hard not to!

Johnny

As said take someone who knows their shizzle.

99% of buses are gonna have had bodywork done, filler isn't a bad think PROVIDING it's used right, ie skimmed on repairs not slapped over rot. If it has a big motor make sure it has receipts and a build spec.

That makes a change with the handle's must just be later VAG only that have issues.

cracking post there jonboylaw! very thorough i think ill print that out to take with me as a check list when viewing!

i plan to spend around 7k ill have a good look around first as i understand that your better off spending as much as possible at the start as its often cheaper in the long run.

if i dont have enough to get a good solid base ill have to have a look at borrowing more.

thanks again your all very helpfull!!

Latest posts