Now have one key to fit all locks

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loxy

Reaction score
Well pleased, just rebuilt my passenger door, sliding door & engine bay lid locks so I only need one key for all doors 8) 8)
The PO took it on holiday to France where some scum tried to break in and steal it all they managed to do was damage the locks, so since it was repaired its had 4 keys for the doors.

It was relatively simple, although I didnt realise at the time that beetle lock barrels from the same period are slightly different (bought some cheap for spares), but the parts were still useful once I had applied the file to them :wink:

Does anyone know if the original locking petrol tank cap on a 72 should use the same key?

Good job done there mate 8)
The key for my original 72 petrol cap is different. As far is i know all my locks are original.

I thought I would have a go at mine, but I seemed to have fucked up!

I managed to break the passenger door barrel & now have the tail gate barrel stuck in place. Ah you have to laugh!

I can now se how it's done & it does look fairly simple once you sus it out.

I think my problem (well one of them) is the keys are so badly worn that the pins in the lock don't sit right.

Has anyone got any old VW keys & a spare barrel or 2? The bay is a 1970 so has the later style handle. I can probably find some localy but thought it's worth an ask.

I have some spares from the beetle handles I bought, the barrels are different and the tumblers are longer although they can be filed to fit.
Will post some pics in a mo to show the difference.
One thing I did find was that after removing all the tumblers from the van locks I only needed to make up a couple of filed down tumblers, and if you are really stuck you can always leave one or two out, although that makes the lock less secure.
I also now have some spare keys but they are type R which I think is different to the ones fitted to a 70.

Ok taken a few pics. This one shows the tumblers - 3 on the left are the 70s beetle ones, the one on the right is the 72 van one. As you can see the van ones are slightly shorter, the difference in the spring compressor bit that sticks out doesnt matter. This also means the barrel is thinner on the van.
You can see the beetle ones are one of each height/depth (the barrel allows for 4 types of tumbler these 3 and no tumbler at all).
IMG_0792.jpg

Next two pics show the beetle barrel note that one side has 5 slots and the other has 4
IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

Here are the keys I have spare, I have a pair of each not sure if they are any use to you.
IMG_0794.jpg

I should really have made a how-to when I did the van locks, but there is one here anyway:
http://www.hallvw.clara.net/lockpart.htm

I have got a key from Grant at Beetlelink, he had a load of old ones kicking around. I got a moody door handle from him & have managed to make the new key fit the now fixed passenger door handle.

I need to do a bit of filing to make the tail gate lock work with the new key, then I can do the other 2 locks.

I can see how it's done now & could do the next 2 a lot quicker!

Cheers for your advice...

Latest posts