Nylon bushing in Gear Linkage different on early 1972 bus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drepsac

Reaction score
Hi
Firstly I hope I'm on the correct forum ! I have an early 1972 bus and it seems to have most in common with the earlier bus's.
My problem and question is to do with the rear shift rod nylon bushes. The 1972 shift rod is different in that it has an extra bit at the end, but that is not my problem. there are two different nylon bushes that fit the shaft and according to The Bentley manual the more sturdy one (with the metal ring) goes to the front. But mine are the other way round and because they are keyed with little plastic lugs that fit into holes in the shaft, they can't be swapped round. Two lugs on the sturdy one and only one lug on the other one. The front end of the shaft is incredibly sloppy and I'm tempted to drill out the shaft to accept the more robust bush at the front end. I wonder if any other owners have come across this oddity. As the engine and gearbox have to be removed to get at the bushes I want to get it right!
I hope someone can help, Thanks

The one with the ring spring and two nubs was the front bush on my 70. The single nub bush was on the rear of the long rear shift rod.
However looking at this paints a different picture
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583515

Latest posts