Offroad early bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aogrady said:
Loxy said:
Some more ;)
baja1.jpg

I am loving this westy - wanna do this to mine! :msn4: :D 8) :lol:

Alistair

This bus was featured on a VW magazine , I think it looks awesome , he did some trick stuff on the interior too.

EspenX said:
I love baja Bays, but to me the best looking ones are the ones that don't look like monster trucks with a bus shell, but buses like the red crossover bay and surfs camper.

The hardest part to make an offroad EB seems to be to find the right tire. Since SUVs caught on, the tire industry is making bigger and bigger all terrain/offroad tires and 14-15" tires are phased out. At the same time, it seems tire technology moves forward and it is really hard to find tires with an aggressive offroad look. Any all terrain tire today looks like nothing more than a modern snow tire to me. For a more aggressive look, it seems you have to go for mud tires, but they are both expensive and obviously not optimal for road use.

A couple of years ago I bought an early bay with 20 year old snow tires on it. It's not the best picture to show the tires perhaps, but even at stock height it has got a hint of offroad look to it :)
Brannbil%20henting%20062.JPG

I think you're right about the tyres.

That's a really cool early bay and an amazing view!

Loxy said:
Some more ;)

baja4.jpg

That's my old bus.. damn I miss that one now that I see the pics :lol:

Lots of fun in those baja bays..

dyn006_original_375_500_jpeg_2505735_de4298e63cdfa65e90cc4f6bab359c3a.jpg

dyn006_original_500_366_jpeg_2505735_8066c73c1ae3be2bc294acb69d15249a.jpg

dyn006_original_512_384_jpeg_2505735_19e4c6e195aaf73e7d7e8df9993b66d9.jpg

I've got another offroad bay project planned, on a late bay though :oops: :lol:

This one is built by an ex-race car builder in I believe Louisiana and it has a big Subaru motor.

IM000159.jpg
[/quote]

Loxy said:
ib-bus said:
This bus was featured on a VW magazine , I think it looks awesome , he did some trick stuff on the interior too.

Don't suppose you have the article to scan in?

I'll take a look on my magazine stack see if I still have it , the guy sold it and it was featured by the new owner.

Everyday since this thread started I've been coming back to it to look at the red Bay, so tempted to do this to my crossover :). Only just welded the adjusters in my new beam to lower it but not fitted it yet so now is the time to decide :? I wonder how they handle on the road, a fair bit more body roll I'm guessing.

Well a bit more body roll yes, but I changed my regular shocks for rancho ones, and that helped a lot...

I've done a few roadtrips with that van, for example 3000km in normandy in 3 weeks, and no real problem...

young_dubya said:
I can think if better ways to treat the sills on a rather nice cross over westy!!! :shock: :shock:

When I bought it about 8 years ago or something, bays were not so big than they are now.. And it's really not nice, rusted all the way on the 5 lower inches, around every window, the engine lid is pretty rusty also, etc etc...

I did kill a perfecly good front bumper though... Shame on me :mrgreen:

And I gotta say I love that lifted 62!!

Loxy said:
ib-bus said:
I'll take a look on my magazine stack see if I still have it , the guy sold it and it was featured by the new owner.
8)

Finally found it , I tought I saw it at a US VW magazine but it was actually a Volksworld Camper and Bus magazine june 2009 pages 31-35 , if you don't find it I'll see what I can do with the scanner.

Latest posts