Oil breather filter & tinware blank

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoddy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I believe you can get a filter to go on the oil breather tube... anyone know who does these?

Also, no longer have my oil bath filter and hence I have a hole in the tinware to cover. What have other people used on this?

Cheers
Craig

99d331fc8b0631935893b295cdb2c825.jpg

de7f204866132c0b22460debd66c1152.jpg

Hi Shoddy
I used two screw tops off jam jars etc, drill a hole in the middle, paint them black, one each side of the hole bolt together "simples"

I used the bottom of a galvanised planter cut to size. Also my vent is piped to the aircleaner underside so any fumes are burnt off through the engine rather than into the engine bay.

Ah.... I got rid of the charcoal filter! Homemade fix on the tinware it is :0)

Do the breather filters attach directly to breather tube or do you fit them with a length of hose in between? Struggling to find pics

If you mean the K&N style, they just fit on the end

Check regularly though cause they can block easily and cause mild back pressure, normally resulting in oil leaking from behind the crank pulley

Out of interest have you gone twin carbs or still on a single, if so the original oil bath filter is far more effective than a pancake filter on a single carb as its hard to get enough air due to the limited height of the filter.

Graham L said:
Out of interest have you gone twin carbs or still on a single, if so the original oil bath filter is far more effective than a pancake filter on a single carb as its hard to get enough air due to the limited height of the filter.
Gone down the 34 ICT's Graham.... fingers crossed!

Graham L said:
Gone down the 34 ICT's Graham.... fingers crossed!

As sparky says you need to attach the oil filler breather to something, if on twin carbs either the top of the air filter on one side or to the rocker cover.

It was actually the oil breather filter I was puzzled over (crankcase filter, and a few other names).... ordered one from JK now to give a go :0)

They're cone still filters that come in the Weber ict kit so no connection.

I bought one of these to fit to the breather tube?!

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag206/shoddy73/709CFB25-B263-4945-891D-680B1425C38D_zpsrqd0f9o7.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shoddy said:
They're cone still filters that come in the Weber ict kit so no connection.

I bought one of these to fit to the breather tube?!

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag206/shoddy73/709CFB25-B263-4945-891D-680B1425C38D_zpsrqd0f9o7.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No they dont come with a fitting you have to drill the top filter plate to accept a barbed fitting to take the pipe

Ah right, cheers graham. You wouldn't know where I could pick up one of the barbed fittings?

Ah right, cheers graham. You wouldn't know where I could pick up one of the barbed fittings?

Other suppliers are available....

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC129115/airfilter-breather-connector/#esp_pg=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC1019164/breather-vents-for-r-cover-pr/#esp_pg=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I fitted one of these breather filters when I converted my carb. Worst thing I ever did. I'm just about to take my engine out again to do a proper job and link it up to my inlet. You'll pop an oil seal like I have.

Latest posts