oil light flicker after lomg hot journey

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strutt

Reaction score
Hi all,

After driving home from Devon (200 miles) on Monday afternoon had an odd problem when I got back. The drive home went sweet, a steady 53-55ish with a 20 min stop en route. Got home, turned the van off, went to unload and open up the garage. Got back in the van, fired her up and noticed the oil light flickering.

All I can guess is that the heat built up after I switched off and wasn't able to dissipate as efficiently as when the fan was on.

I don't have gauges, but the 'grab the dipstick test' was quite hot (although seems like this after all longer journeys, all tinware is in place and engine is running very well. Stock 1600tp.

Cheers

Keep an eye on your oil Luke, if it`s got really hot, it could be toast , might worth an extra oil change just to be sure it`s not mullered, and have a little check of your fan housing and fan belt, but it was quite hot too.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,catch you soon bud :mrgreen:

What oil viscosity are you running? It could be that you just need to go up a step to the next 'thickness' for the summer months as the oil will be running hotter and therefore thinner.

Good shout Mosely , this is one of the reasons I've gone over to multi flavour. I used to use straight 30 and straight 40 in the summer, now I use Halfords multi and I think it's 15/50 or something like that and it covers everything and I don't think I lose so much oil through dripping in this motor and / or the previous one and it probably helps a fair bit for these occasional spikes in temperature. I still think if a motor has got hot enough for the light to come on, you need to change that oil just because it's had its day and has just had a bit of a thrashing,

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, better safe than sorry. :mrgreen:

Cheers for the replies.
I have been running 20-50, the halfords 'classic' stuff.

It was changed just before the trip last week, but for the sake of £20 may as well change it.

Thinking about going for a significantly larger engine soon 8) , but need this old motor to hang in there

Latest posts