Oil pressure gauge

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dt100

Reaction score
Hi - there was an oil pressure in my van since I bought it (1971 Devon) but it wasn't wired up..... eventually got round to doing it.... And it's not working - help please!

It's an electric oil pressure gauge 0 to 100 psi - make TIM.

I fitted a VDO dual sender which works with the idiot light, second terminal wired up to the gauge.

The gauge (apart from light) has 3 wires.
Green - marked S
Red - marked I
Black - marked G

I assumed G for ground/earth, I for ignition/live in and S for sender

Wired up like this then when key turned engine not running the dial goes to full needle. With the engine running returns to 20psi. With revving of the engine there is minimal movement of the needle, but slight movement is negative dropping to around 18psi.

It doesnt feel to me that it's working, any advise on:
- is the Vdo sender compatable with the TIM gauge?
- Have I wired it correctly..... Though have tried other way round without success.
- am I missing something?

Regards to any advise / help that can be offered.....

..... can anyone help please...... before I go out and buy a VDO gauge that gives me the same problem?....

Hello mate have you checked to see if the input and output signals are compatible? As in what type of signal the sender puts out like a resistive or mA loop and then research the gauge specifications.

Is there a spec sheet with the sender that you bought?

Mike.

That sender is not suitable for the gauge.

Unless your good with electronics and have some decent testing equipment, can build small compensator circuits and are willing to waste a lot of time, the only way to do this is to buy a gauge and sender that are matched to each other.

Mix and match is not good enough. Even if it "works", if its not reasonably accurate then its about as much use as a front wheel drive tractor.

Cheers guys, that a what I needed some straight forward advice...... think I'll invest in a VDO gauge to match the sender.... if anyone wants a cheap TIM gauge it will be on eBay shortly!

Thanks again...... advice more useful than the front wheeled tractor!

Latest posts