Oil Pump - Help

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie123

Reaction score
Just changed my oil pump and when the old drive gear was removed it was badly worn (close shave :shock: )
However, put new pump on and ran it briefly and then checked again and the new gear has already started doing the same.
Any ideas, its probably simple but if you don't ask :roll:

Me too see link.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=47694&p=398228#p398228" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it's due to slight missalignment of camshaft - pump gear. I don't think we can do anything about it.

Let's see if there have been any more developments since I posted mine.

Phil.

Are you using the right pump for your camshaft?? Looks like you're using a 68-71 pump and you actually want a 72 on...

Just an idea :smile:

Cheers gents, in answer to your comments so far.....

The old pump was fitted by somebody else but you can’t really change the position of the pump as it is sandwiched between the two halves of the crankcase and its a tight, interference fit. It will rotate in the mounting but the 4 bolt holes have to line up so there is no significant scope for adjustment.

Yes it is an early >71 pump suitable for camshafts with a flat (as opposed to dished) pulley. All aftermarket camshafts (including the Engle W110 which it has fitted) are fitted with the earlier flat pulley according to all the documentation – but we will see for sure when the camshaft comes out! The tongue certainly doesn’t seem to engage very far into the slot but I don’t know whether that is normal or not :?:

My feeling at the moment is that the slot in the camshaft pulley seems too wide for the tongue on the drive gear so there is a lot of slop in it and when the engine speed increases and decreases the cam and pump drive move relative to each other as the cam tries to either speed up or slow down the pump leading to the chewing of the tongue.

When I say pulley I mean gears.... !!

The early >71, flat gears have 3 bolts and the later 72> dished gears have 4 bolts. Mine has 3 bolts as I counted them when the pump was out and they were visible. So the early pump should really be correct. :?:

Just looked in the Bentley manual.

Hand turn pump during insertion to engage drive dog in camshaft ...... OK.

"Hand turn the crankshaft through two revolutions so that the pump bearing plate will align itself with the camshaft".

Then install gasket, end plate & retaining nuts & torque up.

Maybe this wasn't done previously when our engines were last assembled.
I'm not sure I did this either with my rebuild :oops:

Time will tell.

Hi
Can you tell me is this a Bugpack pump?
I've seen this once before.
Cheers.
Dan.

I had the same problem with a Bugpack super pump, did around 1100 miles looked the same, where did you get it? Could be a bad batch not hardened , I wonder how many more people have had the same problem.
Lets see.

RePhil said:
Just looked in the Bentley manual.

Hand turn pump during insertion to engage drive dog in camshaft ...... OK.

"Hand turn the crankshaft through two revolutions so that the pump bearing plate will align itself with the camshaft".

Then install gasket, end plate & retaining nuts & torque up.

Maybe this wasn't done previously when our engines were last assembled.
I'm not sure I did this either with my rebuild :oops:

Time will tell.

That was what I was referring to ^^

I nearly forgot with my engine rebuild a few months ago :D

Latest posts