Oil smells of petrol.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Priscilla1969

Reaction score
Checking the oil and it smells of petrol. Is that normal or should I be worried?

Anybody know if this means something's not right?

Cheers.

Hi,

Sounds like you are getting petrol in the oil. Not good. Suspect maybe a float sticking in the carb or suchlike, what carb/carbs are you running?

It will need fixing. I'd change the oil for starters and try to sort ithe fuel issue....

Alistair

Priscilla1969 said:
1600 twin port with twin Weber setup.

34 ICT'S?

I have the same. Could well be a pump pressure issue, they like to run at 3psi ( i think) max, sparkywig on here knows.... If you have the stock pump, they put out more than that, so can cause fuel to be forced past the float.

Or float could be sticking. Is the outside of the carb a bit damp?

A electric fuel pump, or regulator with it adjusted to the correct pressure. Also you can place extra gaskets under the stock fuel pump to lower the pressure, as the rod will be at a lower lenght. I think mine is running at 3.5psi, so i probably need to sort mine, though mine isnt leaking....

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair, Yes, 34ICTS. Will check the carbs for damp. Looks like I have the stock mechanical pump. Thanks for the quick advice. Will now check out pump alternatives.
Cheers, Phil.

Petrol in oil is usually sign of worn rings or worn valve guides. Any excess petrol from carbs is going to be burned and you may get blue smoke from exhaust.
Bob
:)

Thanks for the info Bob.

The engine is new, not recon, only done about 2000 miles, which means I'm really worried now!
:shock:
Thanks again for the info.

Cheers, Phil.

Just a thought, was new engine supplied with fuel pump fitted or did you use your old fuel pump?There could be a leak on pump and fuel going into engine case. Unfortunatley its difficult to diagnose problems with out actually seeing them. Hope you get it sorted out.
Bob

Thanks.
Sounds like it is the pump (which is new with the engine).

Assuming this is the culprit, where's the best place to get a decent one, JK or VWHeritage?

Cheers.

P1030515.jpg

Hi,

Anyway, maybe not a bad idea to get a cheap pressure guage, less than a tenner, look on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/fuel-pressure-gauge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This will tell you what psi your stock system is pushing out, you may not need to buy a new pump or suchlike.

Also, the alternator and dynamo have different push rod lenghts, the wrong one will be too much pressure i think?

Have a look here for fuel pump and other carb help

http://www.vw-resource.com/fuellinks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Engine looks nice, got any more pictures of your bus? Get a Gallery thread started! ;)

Cheers!

Alistair

I dont think it maters where you get one from as they will most proberly be made by same manufactuer. A new pump should be supplied with two gaskets.The gasket with the hole in the center goes between pump and bakelite flange. Hope the pump is the problem. Keep us informed.
Bob

Thanks chaps for all your help.

Using the van for my daughters wedding tomorrow so looks like I'm going to be getting the spanners out next weekend!

Fingers crossed the van doesn't disgrace itself on the way to the church!

Cheers :D

Mine has done this twice. The pump was dumping petrol into the oil.

Last chance now before i move onto a electronic pump

audix said:

Odd. Not had a problem and my pump is ancient. I wonder if its the fuel?

I always use 98 which, over here, has no ethanol or other substitutes in it.

Trikky2 said:
audix said:

Odd. Not had a problem and my pump is ancient. I wonder if its the fuel?

I always use 98 which, over here, has no ethanol or other substitutes in it.

I think it could be something to do with it. My new VW Heritage locking EB fuel cap died after about 2 weeks because the rubber turned to stone. Im only using normal overpriced UK Shell fuel.

Thanks all.

Spent two weeks driving round France, smell started shortly after our return so sounds like eco b***cks fuel has knackered the repro pump.

Ordered the posh fuel pump from VWHeritage and some new oil. Says the pump is suitable for E10 fuel so fingers crossed.

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers.

New Posh Heritage pump fitted hopefully with the pipes fitted the right way round!
Two gaskets under the Bakelite.

First time order from VWHeritage, 5% discount and fast free delivery, excellent!

Engine is a brand new twin port from VWHeritage. Suggest you guys fit your E10 compatible pump in future. Have done about 2000 miles and the cheap repro in the above photo is now leaking because of the Ethanol.

Changing the oil tomorrow then start her up :D

Check how much oil you take out as well, this may give you an idea of how long it has been doing it.

My fuel pump went on the motorway and i stopped as soon as the red oil pressure light came on, and there was a big puff of blue smoke as the cylinders flooded - :shock:

When i drained the oil last week there was 4.5 litres in the sump!!!!!

Just realised this is the earlybay forum and I no longer have my bay, this was in my ghia!

Still it is all aircooled :D

Latest posts