One sweep wiper button

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve got one of those modules. It’s worked great for a number of years now. One turn of the knob on and off, will give you one sweep of the windscreen. Perfect for British summer weather [emoji16]

I’ve just come across this on Late bay forum......credits to the poster “Snotty” there........

Right, here's your next job Mark, while you're twiddling your thumbs ;)

In with a delay wipe. Pic attached - ignore my colours. Likely easier as you've done your own wiring. Easy peasy. You'll need to:
- find a suitable fused +12V source to power the relay (I used F10).
- locate the cable to the slow wiper speed (53) and chop through it in a suitable place. You'll be left with two ends: 53S (which goes to the switch), and 53 (which goes to the motor). These must be connected to the right terminals on the delay relay, or the wiper fuse will pop.
- fit a delay wipe switch - could be in the wiper switch already, but might not be suitable. A toggle switch will do - Hella do a nice 70s-look one.
- wire everything up as per diagram.

Done! Delay wipe and a few strokes of the wipers every time you operate the washer pump. What more could you want?

There're loads of VW "19" and "99" relays on eBay for under a tenner. I'd go for a fixed delay, meself. The variable one is so convoluted to set.
Thank
Sorry couldn’t attach the diagram.
Would this apply to early bays as seems quite a simple, and cheap way ( but bearing in mind what Phil has warned about above.

Just seen this on late bay...credits to the poster “Snotty “ on that forum....

Wiring: a diagram I'd previously done for Other Purposes shows the connections to the delay relay. You'll need to find VW relay "99" or "197", either from the scrapper or from fleaBay. There is a Bosch equivalent. VWH and JK appear to sell the fixed-delay "19" job. With the variable delay, you flip the switch to get the wipers moving, then turn it off, wait a bit, then turn intermittent operation back on again. It magically remembers the delay, at least until you disconnect the power. What could be simpler, eh, I ask you?

VW Wiper Delay XA.jpg

Everybody needs an intermittent wipe function (which was actually an option on some Bays, it seems), but equally useful is an arrangement that fires up the wipers while you're operating the washers. You squirt, the wipers run and keep running for a few strokes after you've let go of the washer button. No more stalk-fiddling.

For intermittent, I'd used a Hella delay wipe relay mounted under the headlight switch. This works really well, with its little twiddle-it knob, but it won't operate the wipers. An intermittent relay as fitted to early Golfs and the like will, and the later relays allow the delay period to be varied using the intermittent switch. Earlier ones have a fixed delay. I don't know what it is. If you're slick, you can mount the relay in one of the spare positions in the fusebox, as I did.

All of these fandangos need a few simple mods to the existing wiring. Specifically, you need to chomp through the +12V supply line to the motor "slow" winding (53). You'll then end up with two "new" connections: the end the goes to the wiper switch (53S) and the end that goes to the motor (53M). The reason for this is that you're going to be turning on intermittent operation with the wiper switch is "Off", which means the motor park switch is in charge. The park switch keeps 12V on the motor until it reaches the parked position. It then does two things: it disconnects the motor supply and then shorts the motor winding so that the motor stops quickly. If you don't mod the wiring, dabbing 12V on the motor line would just cause the motor fuse to pop. You'll get through one fuse per wipe. The intermittent units incorporate a changeover relay that disconnects the idle switch, gives the motor a 12V kick, then drops back to normal park operation so that the wipers stop in the right position.

Sorry I couldn’t get the wiring diagram to appear.

Also just heard back fromRevolution electronics in USA ( so quick to reply) they confirm that their module could operate with an additional remote push button to give a single sweep, connected into 12 v slow speed wire. They say that the module would just think the power had gone on for a moment and then off again. Even I can grasp that 🙄
Apologies for lengthy post.

Huyrob said:
Just seen this on late bay...credits to the poster “Snotty “ on that forum....

Just go careful, as latebays have totally different wiper switches and mechanisms, and the wiring for them is very different. A '71 shouldn't have a wiper relay from factory, to the best of my knowledge (mine doesn't).

I've used the '99' relay on a couple of other cars and find the programmable timer function very handy.

Another route you can go down is to use a Velleman kit, like this: https://quasarelectronics.co.uk/Item/velleman-k2599-windshield-wiper-robot-interval-timer-kit

I bought a couple and couldn't get them to work (perhaps there was a duff batch of kits), so in the end I adapted one of these: https://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?id=339209&country=us&lang=en with a second relay, so as to get around this problem:

RePhil said:
It is not at all straightforward. This is mainly because the switch introduces a short across the motor once it is parked. This acts as a brake to stop it flopping about when off - I deduced. Therefore the idea of giving the motor a pulse of power to move it off the park position for a single sweep, like I would have liked to do, would not work.

Thanks for the warning Tofufi.
I am pretty sure that I don’t have a relay.Previous posters have used the Revolution Electronics module successfully.What do you think of these?
I was hoping initially to simply have a push button but this seems dodgy so now will go with the Revolution module accompanied by a remote push button which Revolution confirm will work. Do you have any views on this?

It's a very neat solution. I'd be tempted to go for it if I hadn't already spent the money on the velleman kit. That said, how likely am I to need 3 different intermittent speeds? :)

Tofufi said:
It's a very neat solution. I'd be tempted to go for it if I hadn't already spent the money on the velleman kit. That said, how likely am I to need 3 different intermittent speeds? :)

I stand aghast, I thought you’d have at least five speeds on your wipers :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, fives your magic number I heard :mrgreen:

Latest posts