Petrol fumes...expecting the worst...hoping for the best!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldrick

Reaction score
Hi all...finally got rid of the smell of exhaust fumes...but now I can smell petrol :(.

I've got a small "hatch" above the fuel sender and if I take this off there is a strong smell of petrol in this cavity. Everything seem clean and tidy and on obvious signs of rust. What am I looking at for the likely cause?

Not that I can do it, but does this sound like an engine out job?

Thanks

Engine out job to sort anything with the fuel tank really, and not worth the risk leaving it, eh!

It is probably one of the breather connections, my money is on the big rubber one at the firewall side in the middle.

whs^^
although having just done mine two weeks ago, rubbers fine,,,,,,,,,BUT

screw in tank through bulkhead half way up made it whiffy. liquid metal applied and breathers changed while in there too ;)

mind you it had never been out before as the original paint cracked off the mounts while taking the tank out and to my surprise the filler neck rubber hose was jusr barely on the tank :shock: when i poured a little fuel in you could just see the bottom of the tank filler neck darken with a weep of fuel :shock:

took it off and flipped it round and it's fine now,,,,,,,, whole job only took 10hrs :lol: :lol:

Latest posts