petrol smell

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhoj

Reaction score
:p help i can smell fumes sometimes in cab but also from rear vents can you help :p

Check your tank, and it`s breather / vent pipes, loads of scabby old bends and junctions on there, also check your filler pipe but I should imagine that would make a smell a bit worse when filling up mostly. Also all your fuel supply pipes. If they`s old,, just replace them. This is a little secret signal from your bus that he`s about to catch fire unless you do something :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,Sorry about the dramatics,,, BUT they DO catch fire ! :shock: :? :shock:

Check your carb too for signs of petrol around the joints,,,,,,,
Failing that you could like me have left a jerry can in the back when you were pissed moving stuff in the garage :roll: :oops:

Also another from experience, have you been fitting any interior parts recently?
Incase you have popped a screw into the tank through the fire wall fitting a bed or the likes ;)

Did you fill the tank? I had exactly the same & realised having spent forever trying to find a leak of some sort, the petrol was just close to the breather's as it was full. I only fill mine 3/4 now to stop it smelling. That's mine though, well worth a proper check of everything. Took me ages but puts your mind at rest.

Paranoid just spend 1/2 hour sniffing my van think ive devolped a new OCD van sniffing not helped by all the video's on you tube one bored lunch time

I had that smell. Took the engine out, tank out, changed breather lines etc... And STILL had the smell.
In the end, changing the petrol cap cured it :)

that's interesting,took van yesterday for our maiden camping trip with the kids and my wife and i could smell petrol fumes really strongly,pulled over and checked all lines and around carbs and all seemed fine(lines are all brand new £5/mtr not some cheap tak you can get)so i am thinking it could be filler cap like he said above.
anyway brilliant first time away,carbs spluttered on way down(see 009tdc thread)but on way back they never missed a beat,only the humming on clutch pedal depressed spoilt the whole experience.

sharky.

If it were filler cap, how would you smell it when driving along?

Have you replaced all the petrol hoses including the one that goes from the tank to the tinware? Check that second connection too; the metal pipe that passes through the tin itself.

My money would be on the L-shaped rubber that exits the fuel tank behind the firewall. I can't believe how perished mine is!

Another vote for the filler cap.
It's pennys to buy and suprisingly simple to change ;)
Cured mine straight away..

Latest posts