Please help to settle an argument

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdub wannabe

Reaction score
Evenin all.

Please help me and my mate settle an argument once and for all. Its one of those arguments where you have few beers and go on with yourself :lol: .

Bear with me......

Would the first three digits of a 1968 Microbus read 228?

So the full chassis/code number would be: 228 xxx xxx

To go through my reasoning:

2 = Vehicle, Type 2
2 = Body Style, which in the is case is a Microbus
8 = Year of manufacture i.e 1968.

I know boring conversation but there's a beer riding on this one.......I won't tell you what he thinks it is, just in case he's reading this. Smugness is'nt a good look 8)

I know there'll be a few people on here who will know the answer straight away ( or have a library of numbers ).

Thanks in advance, I await the oppurtunity to be proved right or (probably) wrong! :p

You are correct, shall I bring my own straw to share that beer :lol:

Chassis number went to 10 digits for 70-79
where the xxx2 xxx xxx denoted a 70s chassis number - the 2 could change to a 3 if they factory ran out of chassis numbers ;)
so a 78 would be 2282 xxx xxx to differentiate it from a 68

2XX is a bus, 1XX is a beetle,3XX is a type 3 and so on. The 2nd and third numbers combined are the model of that VW. So a 211 would be a standard bus and so on.

Loxy said:
the 2 could change to a 3 if they factory ran out of chassis numbers ;)

Which it never did for the type 2 (annual production figures were between 150000 & 280000) only the beetle managed more than 1 million in a year ;)

do emergency vehicles have a different numbers, i.e ambulances, fire buses etc? :?: :?:

vdub wannabe said:
do emergency vehicles have a different numbers, i.e ambulances, fire buses etc? :?: :?:

Factory Ambulances do (gen factory ones at least) they are 27 models.
with 271 denoting a LHD sliding door right & 274 denoting RHD, sliding door left.
Again other converters used standard models to make ambulances.

Fire truck is a 21F
Fire Kombi is a standard type 22
Ladder truck was type 261
Others were just standrad model types with M-codes for extras/deletions

Latest posts