/portsmouth /plymouth to bilbao ...........whose done it ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crede999

Reaction score
looking for some info on peoples experiences of the trip on the boat

1. was it boring?
2. was there much to do for kids ?
3.was it rough ?
4.would you do it again?
5.how much approx?
6.is there evening entertainment ?
7. any useful websites ............besides this one ? ;)

any info would be great .....

chris

Did plymouth to santander before.

and to answer your questions....

1. was it boring? A bit, after all 24 hrs is a long time to be stuck on a boat, take plenty of food as what they serve on board isn't.

2. was there much to do for kids ? Dunno, was in the bar most of the time as we had no kids then :lol:

3.was it rough ? The way back was epically rough with sky/sea/sky/sea out of the portholes, ended up getting smashed on vodka in the bar with the ships doctor as everyone else was seasick

4.would you do it again? Yes because I'd love to go away for a year in the bus to europe again 8)

5.how much approx? £600 open return in 2003

6.is there evening entertainment ? See answer to question 2 !!

7. any useful websites ............besides this one?? no :lol:

Matt

I done the Porstsmouth to Santander route a couple of times with a bus, using Brittany Ferries.

To answer the questions,

1) a 24hr crossing for which you'll try and sleep for 8 hours or so, theres a cinema on board I've never used, as always hit the bar and piss myself at the caberet, be it a magic show or Jane Mcdonald type singer.

2) Entertainment for kids???? Not sure on that one, maybe in the summer months they open the on deck pool.
3) Had 1 choppy journey, but generally a good ride.
4) Would definately do it again, depending on getting fair priced tickets, or depending how many of us were going.
5) Paid about £325 both times, this was Jan-March, this at least doubles at busier times.
6) Evening entertainment, see above, Cap Finistere is the bigger boat they operate so has 2/3 bars 2 cinema screens, but the smaller ones are much the same,
7) The usual advice similar to a long haul flight would apply, take your own entertainment, be it a book, ipod etc etc as you will get bored wondering around the boat. hit the bar early to ensure a good nght/good morning sleep, then get up for lunch time and drive off :roll:

I've done Santander Plymouth after two weeks cycling down from Roscoff. To be fair, we did it on a budget, didn't even have a reclining chair and slept under tables. It was a good 15 years ago and from what I remember it was just an exercise in managing boredom.

I've done a few more recent trips over to Brittany, with kids, but even on the slow boat, a lot shorter. Don't know if I'm now telling you what you already know, but cinema is ok for kids, normally current releases, entertainment is end of the pier stuff, not really my cup of tea, or the kids, restaurants are ok, bars are ok, rooms are tiny but practical.

For me, it's just a matter of getting through it - there's nothing wrong with it, but I'm always pleased to get off

Thanks for your input fellas ... Food for thought :|

Chris

I've done it a couple of times now. Sailed Portsmouth to Bilbao return once and a single another time and drove home.
Not really boring, eat, drink,sleep, dolphin and whale spot, bingo, cabaret, shopping, cinema etc etc . Evening entertainment is cheesey stuff - songs from the west end shows, crap comedy, Mr and Mrs etc etc, but its something to watch. There are TV lounges and piano bars too.
Food and drink etc all get pretty pricey though! Plenty of food choice from buffet to fine dining and Costa coffee bars.
Lots for kids to do, clubs, activities etc. Face painting, bird spotting and whale watching talks. One crossing a a kids specific afternoon party.
Rough? One crossing was a force 8 storm ... It was mental! :D Also, the coach loads of booze cruising day trippers are pretty rough ;)
It cost a lot, about £600 return in August, but was worth it and I would again :) Its great to chill out and then just drive off the ferry into the spanish sunshine - Bilbao is straight into the Basque area which is superb for a camper holiday. We did get one crossing free with Tesco Clubcard points, but theyve stopped the deal now.

i did it with my kids a good few years ago now but the 1 bit of advice is DONT let the kids stuff there faces untill theyve got used to the pitch and roll trust me its not pretty.. :bliss: .... :sick0026: ........ :sick0006: ......and if you havnt booked a cabin but youre using reclyner seats take some blanckets duvets for the young ones as it does get a bit chilly other than that enjoy youreselves

Latest posts