possible carb problems ???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bac2ba6

Reaction score
Right haveing a few issues with the engine ! , Have checked and re checked all the gaps, tolerances ect involved with the engine as per spec , all plugs are sparking as they should and all ht leads are in good condition, im running a svda dizzy points are set correctly and the timeing is as it should be idleing at BTDC 7-8 degrees , advanceing without vac line connected to about 28-30 and with line connected to just abouve 40 degrees ,
The problem i have is there is a real lack of power on the lower rev range can just about get up to speed but its like your dragging a dead weight behind you like a serious flat spot but not like you would get on a 009 dizzy , and it also seems to be running a lot hotter than normal as in very hot dip stick and the oil light will flicker on tickover when its hot , the engine was totally rebuilt last year and ran more or less fine although was running twins then . im now running a 34pict 3 solex which i rebuilt the other month , this was the original carb i used to run but took it off as it was getting tired and leaky . And dont ask why i have swapped back to a stock carb lol , needs must and all that :)
Noticed today while swearing at it again that when you hold the throttle about a 1/4 out it will pick up revs but then struggle to maintain where it is and trys to stall but dosnt quite , to get past this you have to open it up to about half throttle and will stay at that fine , the same with full revs , will rev up fine from idle to max revs if you just suddenly open it up full , but when on the rd and you do this it just hits a serious dead spot and struggles to pick up speed bit like you have left the handbrake on ( and no i havent lol ) like i said used to have a similar proplem with this carb years ago along with it leaking fuel from the spindle , which is the reason i rebuilt it , the only difference is i put a new slightly bigger main jet in . it also sometimes takes a while for the revs to drop back to idle after revving

so after that essay above if your still awake anyone got any ideas ????? if you plz as got mot booked in a week and although can get it there just about as dont like this hot running and camper jam is looming :roll:

Air leak or blocked jet maybe it could be running lean does it run better with a little choke

had a bit of a spray with wd40 around the usuall suspects but was only a quick go , as i thought it may be an air leak , but nothing changed

doubt it would be a blocked jet as everthing was squeeky clean when rebuilt , new filter and lines were put in aswell , but stranger things have happened

I recently had to reset my bug's carb after behaving like that, now its sorted..
Read this page;
http://www.vw-resource.com/34pict3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As stated on there /\ set valves ,timing, plugs etc first.
The important bit is from half way down the page,(presuming it's a 34 pic 3 solex?) and what I do with mine is ;
The little screw needs turning in really slowly 1/8th at a time till it JUST starts to slow the engine, then back out about 1/8th of a turn.
Then set idle to 900rpm with the big screw, take for a spin to check it dont stall and picks up well by booting it in 2nd then clutch in and stop a few times. You may have to turn little screw in/out a tiny smidge till its perfect, do a few test runs round the block after every 1/8th or 1/4 turn change as a 1/2 turn can make it way better or worse running.
Dave

thanks for the reply but ,

had a bit of a fettle with it this evening after work and after checking everything noticed the rear nut on the carb came undone with very little effort ( strange ? ) so took the carb off to check the manifold was nice and flat ( as mentioned on here ) and it was , then noticed the stud from the carb seemed to be longer than the other and as i grabbed it it practically with just a small turn came out . thought the thread had gone but all looked fine , so double locked 2 nuts together and with some locktight screwed it back in and left it for a good half hour then refitted the carb and it bolted down nice and tight ( put another new gasket on and a smidge of blue holimer ) .

so hopefully that was the problem to the crap running although havent had chance to try it yet as was getting late and my neighbours are boreing

so will have a start up tomoz evening and see if thats cured the problem , fingers crossed as it was a simple thing

Latest posts