possible cv fail?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68_early_bay

Reaction score
hi guys just a bit of a head scratcher,

coming home from hermans the other weekend , 5 miles from home started to hear a clunk clunk sound from the nearside rear everytime i went round a left hand corner, pulled up checked wheel nuts to see if they were loose but no, so thought my cv joints on that side must be on its way out, got home and think no more about it till today checked wheel nuts again(tight), jacked up each wheel to check bearings spun no grumble, side to side top and bottom no obvious bad play, get under neath thought its got to be cv, but I've never had one go on me before how do you check because I've spun the shaft and theres no play in the shaft when i spin it? done both sides just wondered if there is anything i have to do to test?

cheers shaun

I'd suggest that a clunking noise is more likely to be a worn ball joint - give the track rods a lever with a pry bar and see if there's any play there. Also try the other ball joints on the suspension arms.

CV joints tend to rumble when they're worn, similar to wheel bearings.

I had a similar "clanking" problem from one side at rear and it was caused by a circlip on one of the driveshafts having broken.

If you "wank" the drive shaft there there should be some movement of maybe a cm max, if there is a lot more (I had 10cm) that could be
your problem and is easily fixed with new circlip.

Try both drive shafts - they should both have the same movement

I hope the terminology is acceptable !

Photos 3 & 4 show the circlip on

http://volksweb.relitech.com/cvjoints.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

good luck

(I can't remember if I had to jack the rear of the bus up to test the CV joints..)

68_early_bay said:
sounds coming from the rear of the bus, and all the ball joints are new :?

Complete fail, too used to talking about front wheel drive cars! :oops:

slow-lane-Matt said:
I had a similar "clanking" problem from one side at rear and it was caused by a circlip on one of the driveshafts having broken.

If you "wank" the drive shaft there there should be some movement of maybe a cm max, if there is a lot more (I had 10cm) that could be
your problem and is easily fixed with new circlip.

Try both drive shafts - they should both have the same movement

I hope the terminology is acceptable !

Photos 3 & 4 show the circlip on

http://volksweb.relitech.com/cvjoints.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

good luck

(I can't remember if I had to jack the rear of the bus up to test the CV joints..)

just been and done the deed :lol:

measured the stroke and both of them are the same at around 15mm so not overly excessive :? will get one of my mates to sit in the back and go for a drive round the block at the weekend see if I'm going mad lol

Latest posts