PREVENT STONE CHIPS - GROUP BUY?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdub wannabe

Reaction score
Hi all

I don't know if this is the place to put it as I'm not the trader, but I've been working with this guy to develop a template to partially cover the front of my Bay with a 3M film.

This is to basically stop stone chips on your paint work. Its a clear film (like sticky back plastic) instead of having a black bra on the front of your van. The coloured area on the image below is just for illustration purposes.

3MPAINTGUARDVW.jpg

The guy, Dave, just does'nt do Bays/VW's he'll do any car/van. He was down on the coast over the weekend doing the hulls of boats!

This is the quote so far:

If you wanted to fit it yourself:

Upper Panel - £ 33.30
Lower Panel - £16.50

Installation kit including Fluid, applicator & instructions - £5.95
Plus postage & package - £4.95

If you wanted it fitted by Premier Paint then fitting is £40 (on top of the panel price) at their site in Long Itchington near Southam, Warwickshire.

As I said I'm going to do it soon, but if there are a few of us we may be able to get it cheaper.......well we can ask

Maybe we could get a group buy thingy going on? Anyone interested? ;)

This is the website if you need your luxury yacht! http://www.paint-protection-film.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hi

what 3m film is it?

im a buyer for one of the largest sign companies in the uk so could get a good deal on material - 3m is our main vinyl/film

let me know if you want me to look into it :D

Don't know the technical spec/thickness. This is the website:

http://www.premierpaintguard.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does that help?

sounds interesting.Q's - how conspicuous is it? Is it easy to apply (i.e. no bubbles) & easy to remove if needed?
If the grouop buy makes it cheap enough then would be tempted to go for it anyway. well done & keep us posted matey! :mrgreen:

Seem this done on other vehicles and seems to work but it wont hide my dented front panel like a bra would :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've seen it used on the rear wheels of cars, like Aston Martins. It does work hence why I contacted this guy.
I was thinking it'll be really good on a VW Beetle rear wheel arches too instead of the aluminium stone chip guards.

Having spoken to Dave (the fitter) he assures me that if you wanted to fit it yourself then it is easy to apply with the fitting kit, and easy to remove.
Looking at his website the kit consists of a solution (to aid positioning), a spreader (to smooth out the bubbles) and instructions. From my dealings with him he seems like a good guy so I'm sure that if your stuck when fitting he would be happy to answer questions!

Do you think the lower panel will be needed? I was just thinking of the upper panel for my bay......where all the stone chips are :lol:

Whats the ideal price for a group buy? How much shall I try to get him down to!? Maybe if we could all arrange fitting at the same timev at his place the price will come down further?

I'll wait to see who else is interested. ;)

Hi all

now I have hada chat with guy at Premier paint and if he gets 10 people then he will reduce the price:

£30 for the top panel
£13 for the bottom panel

Fitting £35

Kits remain the same price as does postage.

I'm going to ge tmine fitted at the end of the month.

I've gto this post up on several other VW sites, so hopefully the numebrs will be pretty good.

Had mine fitted last night, you can't see it. The cut of the film is on the radius of the panel so blends really well.

He's put the film in the head lamp bowls too, not all the way but just enough.

I'll take some pictures, but it might be a waste of time 'cause you can't see it :lol:
I'll take photos of the main panel, then a macro shot of the edge just to prove its there.

Right then, hopefully the pictures should upload....fingers crossed.

The film is in place on all the pictures, no really it is! I have put an arrow on the edge of some of the deatiled shots

Fully Frontal:
film1fRONT.jpg

Fully Frontal 2:
film2fRONT.jpg

Radi:
film3EDGE.jpg

Grill:
film4EDGE.jpg

And the best one, the head lamp bowl:
film5EDGE.jpg

I've gto the upper and lower panel done. I got the lwr panel done just so I could stick the number to the lower panel without going direct to the paint.

What do you think?

this is the website if I've forgotten to put it on :?

http://www.paint-protection-film.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi All

long time no posts on here - where does all the time go!

I still have my trusty early bay and still have the film on the front. I am happy to say that it has not cracked or discoloured.

I will try to upload pictures but it won't be for the next few days as I am travelling away for work.

Until then.

Latest posts