Project 71 westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2Tall

Reaction score
First picture post on the site, plenty more to come.

Brought this home a few weeks ago. It is my first bay window.

879bddb2.jpg

12c14f41.jpg

Took some time and buffed the paint out, made a nice difference.

44da3b70.jpg

Also started to re work the vent windows, by far the biggest pain I have ever done. It was worth it, nice, bright and tight. I was happy to get the horrible window tint off.

95dff01c.jpg

Interior is in shape, it's all there.
daab4bb3.jpg

Or was. :D
15e6b413.jpg

214e744c.jpg

More pictures to come later...lowered.

e2afc8d5.jpg

This past week I have been making the stance adjustments.
Notched the rear plates.
5191d1c3.jpg

Pulled the front end to make way for the four inch narrowed adjustable beam with 2.5inch drop spindles.
e49861dc.jpg

Mocked up the rear end.
c1695af7.jpg

35352e9b.jpg

Interior looks to be in good nick 8)

Nice ride and will keep an eye on this one ;)

Looks awesome, more pics please! :D

c584622a.jpg

This was from the weekend. First roll out of the garage, the rear down one spline and the front is all the way up.....back in the garage to go another spline the rear and see what that does.

I am not sure how low I can go yet. Pretty sure I need to mildly the notch rear for rough roads. The front I know I can MUCH lower since the beam is all the raised up at the moment. Right now my issue up front is tire size and wheel offset. The Fuchs are replicas and the back spacing is rather deep, the beam only look two inches narrowed which doesn't bother me. What does bother me is the tires are not pulled in past the "hip" on the inner fender well. I am thinking I will need to notch this section for clearance on rougher roads. I don't really want to go much lower, but Iwould like to be able to go as low possible everyonce in while.
I measured the other day and right now I am 7.5inches lower in the front than the day I brought it home.

This how it sits with the back end re-adjusted. We had nice snow storm here and I have not been able to take her out and see how everything feels.
b5bc0c81.jpg

Thought I would post my other Vw for you guys, forgive me it's not an EB but it has a curved windshield. running oe 17inch twist, coil overs, full cage, 1955cc stroker on mega squirt injection. It's a blast to drive.
IMG_1897.jpg

Got some time in the garage again, spent it polishing the old paint more. Also added a bit of flare for the upcoming gathering next weekend.
[photobucket]
38f255ba.jpg
[/photobucket]

[photobucket]
da3151a7.jpg
[/photobucket]

[photobucket]
9d516d1e.jpg
[/photobucket]

Been awhile since I posted. I got the running gear sorted out and put some miles on her (Bertha) around town looking as below.
[photobucket]
2fde3f0b.jpg
[/photobucket]

[photobucket]
ef82792b.jpg
[/photobucket]

A few days of city driving I decided to put Bertha on the freeway for the first time since I brought her home. Boy was she slow, even had her on a diet that day and it was all she had to get to a safe speed not to be reard ended. We quickly exited and headed home, that night the motor came out. This was more than just an old bus being slow. I was right, all the intakes were full on oil and when the heads were removed each spark plug hole was cracked in 3-4 places! Worst I have seen in a long time. This was all the reason I needed to start ordering parts.
Aside from the normall rebuild kit I upgrades to a 74mm crank and eagle 100 cam amongst other little trick bits help hold her upon the long run. This a neat motor combo using a stroker crank, stock rods and pistons with the a cam, I always thought this would be a great readable motor on a budget.
I couldn't stop there, enter a new vintage speed exhaust
[photobucket]
5d309d39.jpg
[/photobucket]
The quality in the box was amazing. However, what is the point of exhaust with out the carbs to match. I took a gamble to try out the new solex/kadron 44mm duals with electric chokes.
All said and done I ended up with this,
[photobucket]
80f650d0.jpg
[/photobucket]

[photobucket]
5f748547.jpg
[/photobucket]

3 weeks after the first freeway drive Bertha fired up with a new heart. I havebeenbusy dialing in the chokes which hold the throttle open way to much for a warm cycle. I have hardly started to adjust the mixtures or jetting but the first 30miles I have on the motor are great. The motor has terrific pull in all ranges of driving. I am very pleased with this motor bang for the buck I am pleased.
The exhaust is even better, tons of ground clearance and great sound, not obnoxiously loud inside or out the van. Well worth the money, I am thinking about ordering one for my 1303.

During the motor rebuild I also pulled the shell off the roof and sent it my friends shop down the road for a refinish.

[photobucket]
9a16eeaa.jpg
[/photobucket]

Hope to have this back on in the next week and ready for camping soon.

Latest posts