"prototype" early bay on ebay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He has sent for a birth certificate from vw museum, will be interesting to see if he believes what they say. I was also a little worried that his chassis number and log book didnt appear to match, suggested that he tries to resolve that as well.....

thats a bit worrying about the log book not matching- do u know what the no. on the log book was ?

log book no was 0099384, got him to double check and he confirmed it. If it is dodgy I dont think it is likely to be him doing it, just seemed like he didnt know much about it, hope he hasnt bought a wrong un.

seems like its back again ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Volkswagen-Dormobile-Camper-Van-T23-1968-early-bay_W0QQitemZ270112143557QQihZ017QQcategoryZ14256QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

if thats worth the 6.5k its sitting at then im gona have to get an agreed value on mine when its done, surley if its got rust under the doors and they need replacing then its gona have other horrors hiding somewhere.
have a feeling we will be hearing more on this van after the sale.

Am I wrong or was that van at Bustypes in the for sale line-up for £11,000?

This van has been debated at length in the past - I believe the general concensus was that it isn't even a prototype!

I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole!

;)

I think general view is that the confusion comes from it probably being a demonstrator for Dormobile ...

Hi guys!

sorry for bringing up this very old topic again..
But some comments in here caught my attention!

Long story short: i just finished doing lots of research about early bay production in July and August 1967.
Therefore i got in contact with the owner of the oldest early bay (Chassis Nr.38!).
I sent him a link to the final result of my research with a lot of text on my website (production figures for 1967, comments of a VW worker from 1967, et cetera..).

Now he informed me about an early baywindow prototype that he saw back in 2006. He thinks that it is located in the UK. And he remembered that it had the chassis of a splitbus as well as a strange chassis number. Does anyone know more about that?

I think you might be able to help me out, as some of you guys mentioned similar stuff in this thread.
See:

Loxy said:
... cant tell from the vanfest prototype pic what the ...
Clem said:
... the 'split' chassis thing ...
pete nice said:
A bay on a split chasis? that would make it then, er, an early bay.

What is that vanfest prototype pic? :shock: Sounds like the bus showed up on a local meeting.

and also i would like to know more about this site mentioned in the first post of this topic:

Loxy said:
Is it this one in the features section? number plate looks very similar but cant make it all out in the feature pic.
http://www.earlybay.com/Features/1967PrototypeBay/tabid/82/Default.aspx

sadly this site is not available anymore. But the URL path tells something about "1967PrototypeBay".

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Hi Alex
I read up your research, its interesting stuff, thank you.
I'm still left with the understanding that many parts were prepared for the builds in advance, including bodies that had chassis plates attached, but the actual assembly not commencing until August - hence some vans may get a pre-July birth certificate but a later build date.

I've yet to see anything resembling a prototype that stood out as being different from any other early bay. :)

Latest posts