Pumping pressure through pedal

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveS

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
After 1972
Van Type
T2 Moonraker
I am getting a pumping through the pedal on my 78 Bay window under braking.
I’ve replaced the discs, pads, brake drums and shoes and I still have it. The brakes work fine but just this pumping sensation. It’s not like when you pump them to build up pressure when they need bleeding, just constant under braking. 😡
Any ideas?

As Dav says ^^^ sounds like something ain’t running true or pad wear. Can you hear anything when you spin the front wheels ? And have a real good look at your tyres too.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, How old are these tyres :)

As Dav says ^^^ sounds like something ain’t running true or pad wear. Can you hear anything when you spin the front wheels ? And have a real good look at your tyres too.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, How old are these tyres :)
All new tyres. Front seem perfect. Near side rear may be something as when you have it jacked up and spin it it goes tight then free, tight then free. New drums and shoes though.
I’ve been told that it may have a slight bend in the stub axle.??

I had that on my type 3 swing axle, I changed the brakes to disc and put in short axles, turns out one shaft had the end bunged up. I don't know whether it was dropped, or what but the pin hole and the threads were both out of shape , see if you can tell
I put the magnetic dial indicator on it to see the runout

I had that on my type 3 swing axle, I changed the brakes to disc and put in short axles, turns out one shaft had the end bunged up. I don't know whether it was dropped, or what but the pin hole and the threads were both out of shape , see if you can tell
I put the magnetic dial indicator on it to see the runout

I think I’ll get it checked.
Thank you all.
Dave

I had a brand new CSP drum with a flat spot, suspect it was dropped at some point before it got to me. It wasn’t apparent other than a slight pulsing through the pedal, but over time a heat spot became visible on the drum. I contacted CSP and they were pretty rude about the whole situation, but it still needed to be replaced regardless. Problem went away after.

Latest posts