Putting in a hard westy bed in roof rather than canvas bunk

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronsm

Reaction score
Hi all

Thinking of putting in one of the hard westy beds that normally go in later westy bays into the roof of my 68 Westy and remove the single canvas bunk.

I managed to get one off eBay for a quid, plus all the fixtures etc.

Anyone done this before? Any thoughts?

Basically i've got 2 kids who are too big for the over the cab hammock style bunk, and rather than have a single canvas stretcher type bunk in the roof, I thought I'd replace it with one of the 'double', foam covered, yellow Westy roof beds.

ta

mike

ive seen it done a couple of early westys, so it can be done

i forget who in here did it, but u got a real bargain by the sounds of it :mrgreen:

Try these links. They should give you what you're looking for.

http://www.type2.com/library/camper/cotbed.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=116371" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike

a quid???? ( in my best monty python accent) you lucky, lucky, lucky barsteward.I wouldn`t sell mine for £*&^ let alone a quid Not sure if the aperture is differnet on a 73 but i have a wrecker with said bed fitted in a forward popping roof( same as early) and i`m planning on grafting the roof onto a tin top...if the aperture is no different then i really can`t see a problem..if you want some pics posted then it`d be my pleasure

A guy I know has done the tin top to westy conversion as well. Here's the link:

http://www.pottsfamily.ca/westfakia/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you guys are brilliant. What can I say. There I was thinking I was the first to attempt it.

Excellent stuff.

The guy I got it from, actually strapped it to the top of his beetle and drove about 50 miles to deliver it too. And to top it all, I'm not actually convinced I paid him for it. And then he came back when he found some additional brackets, screws etc.

The VW community is the best!!!!

You scored big time on that find! These are very hard to find-at least in Canada! They're worth their weight in gold! I was looking for one but couldn't get one so I ended up pulling off my whole top and fitting a different type-Sportsmobile that goes straight up and allows for two adults to sleep up top comfortably.

Mike

Thats a bargain I payed £80 for mine and I thought that was good 2 months ago. The bed will fit in fine on a forward hinging early westy. I havent even fitted the hinges to the roof just put felt on the bottom of them so as not to scratch the roof and I also don't want to drill the roof and it dosn't budge at all and kids have slept on it loads. Its also easy to take out if just me and the Mrs go away. The only difference between the 68-72 and the 73 is the toggles which hold the roof down on the 68-72 it is a rubber toggle but on the 73 it is a rubber toggle with a metal clip and the metal clip holds the roof down and the rubber toggle is used to hold the be up out of the way when not being used.

yeah it is fwd hinge roof on my westy.

Is yours not fixed in at all then? if so any chance of some pics? I'm very nervous about altering the van for fear of f*****g it up.

m

Wookie Bear said:
Thats a bargain I payed £80 for mine and I thought that was good 2 months ago. The bed will fit in fine on a forward hinging early westy. I havent even fitted the hinges to the roof just put felt on the bottom of them so as not to scratch the roof and I also don't want to drill the roof and it dosn't budge at all and kids have slept on it loads. Its also easy to take out if just me and the Mrs go away. The only difference between the 68-72 and the 73 is the toggles which hold the roof down on the 68-72 it is a rubber toggle but on the 73 it is a rubber toggle with a metal clip and the metal clip holds the roof down and the rubber toggle is used to hold the be up out of the way when not being used.

Here is some pics of a late westy bed in an early Bay.

VWRoofFastening002.jpg

VWRoofFastening008.jpg

VWRoofFastening011.jpg

VWRoofFastening014.jpg

VWRoofFastening017.jpg

VWRoofFastening018.jpg

I've also got photo's of all the fixing points if you need?

The Cod

Hi!

Any chance of pics of the brackets etc, i cant see where i need to fix it all up, unless i am some bits missing????

Grrr! If i cant get it right - it's gonna go up for sale!

Many thanks!

Alistair

I'm not too sure which bits you mean so i'll post all the other photo's that i have and hopefully the one you'll need is there!!

VWRoofFastening2005.jpg

VWRoofFastening2004.jpg

VWRoofFastening2003.jpg

VWRoofFastening2008.jpg

VWRoofFastening2009.jpg

VWRoofFastening003.jpg

VWRoofFastening006.jpg

VWRoofFastening005.jpg

VWRoofFastening009.jpg

VWRoofFastening010.jpg

Hopefully these are the ones. If you do put it up for sale, i'm willing to buy it off you. As the ones in the photos are of my Dads camper.

The Cod

thanks all of you, particularly those that have stuck up all the pics. They are invaluable. I wasn't sure how it all fixed to the van, but now I know. I think I will have to improvise the metal plates that the metal 'handles', underneath the bed, rest on.

But otherwise thanks so so much....

Mike

Cod Almighty.............. could you post some more pictures off the bracket that holds up the flip down piece? (like the last picture in your previous thread) Ive got all the bits except the two brackets that hold the retainer in place. Id like to see how it should go before i start looking for some replacement brackets. Anyone whos got 2 of these brackets up for grabs i would be very grateful. Cheers