rat look paint

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaunmouse

Reaction score
does anyone know how to get this paint look it looks well nice :twisted:

Attachments

• 100_2404.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 893
If you use your current colour as a base, top coat of choice and wire wool accent areas and panels, top off with wax....

but you can make a real arse of it real easy....

oh and remember forced rat look is wrong! why would you want to make something look worse than it really is?

if you have saved something from the grave its a tottaly different story.

just my 2cents worth..

the basics... lay down a flat base color(the color you want to show through) Spray the rustic color on top...these colors are all usally flat, as you avoid shine like the plague. and then sand...course paper, til you break through...work it work it... :| I'm neutral on doing this, but if your going for this look might I suggest fabricating lambo doors, it'd be the only vehicle the doors come out in front of the rig. :wink: How cool would that be! not to mention pointless?! But so cool. :eek:

-MagicEddie88

lol i am a ex chav my old honda civic had lambo doors which i fitted myself what a pain in the arse to you early day lol they brake alot but it would be the first of its kind thanks for the paint advice have decided to paint it delta green matt now and go with the rat look on that

That's my van, only did it as a cheap stop gap as i like the look of that paint effect where the previous owner had hand painted the van, and where i had welded in new panels i then sprayed on top in them general areas with red oxide, once that whole area was flatted back it came up kinda like this wood effect!

also, so's not to waste good paint on newly welded in panel's as at the time i weren't sure if the rust would come back, it really was stop gap,

anyway we brush painted (as badly as possible! ie, bringing out all the brush strokes) over all the paint/red oxide in enamel paint, the stuff they use on JCB's it was a magnolia colour, the sprayed red oxide primer on top of that, possibly too soon as that ALL reacted giving more a random look in some areas, if anything the areas where its reacted most are my favorite all other areas where the bush painted enamel had gone off was kind the look i was going for....

its really a very cheap paint finish i went for rather than 'fake patina' or rat look, it i were to describe it id say its more 'shite look'

so balls to 'oh and remember forced rat look is wrong!'

cheers
alex.

thanks for that alex think i mite try that now seams easy to do how and what did you do to get the van that low i seen it at vanfest it looked wild went you drove by me

Latest posts