123 distributor

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redgaz54

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Panel van / Camper
Hiya, after a few or more chinese tat ignition failures I've fitted a 123, basic type with vacuum. My engine is a stock 1600 tp, 34 pict 3.
I wondered if anyone has tried the various advance curves, I've left on 0 for now, i believe 2 & 9 are also an option. I'd appreciate other people's experiences with this, thanks in advance.

I have played with my 123 a fair bit. Trying the curves of different distributors to see what works was educational!

Knowing what I know now I would have done initial setup differently. I have the BT version, the app is good and easy to tweek and play with.

The light built in to indicate TDC is sketchy! Have no advanced programmed, and use a timing light to get an accurate start point.

I like 10deg advanced early, and am all in 29deg by 2500 RPM. I have tweaked the advanced to suit my driving and get lots of power low down.

I have a 1776 with a fast road cam, duel webber 40's electric fuel pump. Used to pop and bang on the Chinese 009 copy the engine was supplied with.

I tried the vacuum advance but it did not have the desired effect, I will play with this more in the future now I have the base setup. Would be good to have advanced based on load rather than RPM alone.

I still have a little pop so I still need to tweek it bit more. Putting down some miles, so I can see the spark plug condition and make sure the colours are the same, the mix was off, hoping I have solved that.

Better MPG with my current setup.

Fun times

Mat

As you know from over on LateBay I have the Bluetooth version, same as La bigmac.

What I would say is, give 2 and 9 a try, and see what you prefer. I’m sure I’ve read on hear of folk running 9.

I created many different curves, based on Bosch 034, 009, and 015 dizzy’s plots and tried them before finalising my bespoke plot. I’ve tweaked it recently to factor in the over zealous 20mph Welsh roads near me 🤣.

This vac curve works very well for me, especially at speed on light throttle, makes the 34 ICT’s super frugal 👍

IMG_7625.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts