Rat Look

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aogrady said:
Hi!

http://www.dep-o.co.uk/page415.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Digest and discuss! :lol: 8)

Cheers!

Alistair

Hmmm :msn4:

Patina is great in my eye's ......... we used to call it original :mrgreen:

Rat is a bit broad a statement now and includes another look now........the shit, can't be bothered look! :mrgreen:

For me rat look is all about originallity. My Notch and Crewcab both have original paint and patina, but that is the way they will stay - for me it is about preserving originallity in these terms, not about creating patina.

faux said:

Rat is a bit broad a statement now and includes another look now........the shit, can't be bothered look! :mrgreen:

Here here, a rat Rover 25? Really? :|

Westy Richardson said:
faux said:

Here here, a rat Rover 25? Really? :|

well how else is he going to get a crap car get slightly noticed?

Well according to that article I'm a snob. I understand rat, but as original, cracked, weathered paint and the like; not what they are doing. Chavs making their shit cars look shitter!!

So i buy any chav/gary type car from auction / ebay, drive THRU the local dump a couple of times and hope stuff sticks to it and hey presto , instant rat!!!!!!

:evil: this ahem 'rat look' is for people who havn't got or won't spend money on a car,If they call it 'a look' then it's everyone else that doesn't get it.

As its been said,genuine age scars & Patina with a history is like a medal of honour earned with age due to survival through the years.These turds on wheels are the equivalent to a P.C.S.O. turning up to a WW2 vets reunion. Genuine Patina is cool on a vehicle thats cool to start with but a Rover 45 will always be a Rover 45.Maybe in 30 or so years a mint,low mileage one will at best have a bit of interest in a Motor Museum,but its still a Rover 45,same goes for the fiesta & the BMW if its nothing special..all i.m.h.o.

a hot potato!!

The problem is, the VW scene IS where rat look started - good or bad - it's 'our' thing, now 'they' have it and 'outsiders' will think we are all the same!!

:sign0001:

Once they get fedup with driving their shatrods they'd have to be scrapped, who the blazzes would want it? Ray Charles/Stevie Wonder perhaps...

Difference is with a rat VW someone will always want it because of its heritage. Not to say I'm a fan of the 'rat look' I prefer shiney and clean but at least I do understand its meaning.

Des

cunning plan said:
The problem is, the VW scene IS where rat look started - good or bad - it's 'our' thing, now 'they' have it and 'outsiders' will think we are all the same!!

the VW scene didnt start it, it was around long before with hot rods and such

Analog said:
cunning plan said:

the VW scene didnt start it, it was around long before with hot rods and such

Absolutely right, forgot about the yanks! :sign0013:

You could say that the VW scene 'perfected' it :p

I'm no expert, but this makes no sense to me.....

Rat Look,

Born of the Hot Rod/Street Rod scene, where limited budgets meant that all you cash went on the motor and running gear, leaving none for fancy paint etc......it has since become an image choice but should really still incorporate a hot motor.

Patina,

The preservation of something original, faded paint on a rock solid bus is something to preserve and show off.

Neither of these work with a 1.1 Corsa, your Grandads old Rover 45 and, to be honest (and perhaps a little controversial) it doesn't belong on the bonnet of a newly painted T4/5 or a Golf either.

I also don't get painting a bus/beetle, whatever, and then going at it with some wet and dry.....but thats just me..!

That is all! :roll:

Latest posts