Rear Cargo/hatch metal repair

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctroutma

Reaction score
For a 1971 Westy

Does anyone have any experience repairing the rear cargo area (over engine) or rear hatch area? The latch for for my rear hatch has rusted away and I would like to replace this as well as the metal section over the engine that holds the rear engine lid hinges.

Has anyone had to do any repairs to this area? What did you do? Haven't been able to find anything on this, so any help would be appreciated, especially any photos of repairs.

Thanks

-this was also posted over at samba, but no help yet

You're about 12 months ahead of me :D

One of our resto parts suppler now does the engine lid hinge cover panel.

I guess it's a case of getting one so you can see how it fit's in, then cut the old one out to that profile. What you find underneath that I guess is a case of make it up as you go a long.

Can you find a donor bus to cut good bits from :?:

Better getting one off a doner bus as aftermarket one's are a bit of a bitch to fit,due to pressings not being brilliant.Mine came from schofields.

Thanks. I located a weekend VW shop with about 10 scrap buses lying around. The guy there is going to cut out the rear decking, top and sides of engine compartment. Paid $100 (US) for the piece and he is cutting it for me. That was a good enough deal for me considering new replacement panels aren't available (at least not that I could find). I'll let you know how it turns out.

I picked up the piece today and brought it home. It's from a 72' so it gives me a little more room on either side of the engine compartment, although I'll have to do cut outs for the lenses. Will be awhile before i can get to this, but I'll post some more pics after I'm done.

Sample_97.jpg

Sample_98.jpg

Not the cleanest thing you've ever seen. I'll need to do some blasting/sanding and cut down where the 72 engine hatch is. Better than what's (not) there now.

I don't mean to pis on your chips, but the '72 was the first year of a different hatch catch I think. Thus, the pressings in the panl you have may be different.

Just take your time and make sure the catch and latch line up :)

Latest posts