Rear drum brake adjuster siezed to hub? Help...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 422

Reaction score
So I've been stripping the rear end on my '71 today so I can strip and re-paint all the bits and bobs...

Got the hub nuts off, and all the brake internals etc, easy... :)

Then undo the two bolts (21 in the diagram below) that attach the adjuster housing at the bottom of the backplate (bolts through into the hub casting) but it will NOT come off... :x I think that this little nipple :lol: is the culprit:

nippletwat-2.jpg

Doesn't seem to be threaded or anything, just a locating pin? Highlighted in red here (photo shamelessly stolen from another thread!)

brakethingy.jpg

I guess it's just rusted and seized up, tried WD40 on it, and some light thwacks with the hammer...

Anyone had this problem before, any advice?

Cheers Guys :)

Matty

WD40 is not a penetrating oil. Use plusgas or similar product intended for the purpose.

Also some heat often helps.

yes it is just a pin and they rust in solid,heat is best and a big hammer :shock:

Cheers guys, am I right in assuming that the adjuster housing bit is actually integral to the backplate?

Big hammer will be employed tomorrow, Lets hope the old backplate will stand up to a beating haha :p

Latest posts