Rear brake rub

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcfmonkey

Reaction score
My bus has been sitting for a while with the handbrake on so inevitably the rear brake was a bit reluctant to release! I took the wheel off and gave the hub a smack or two with a hammer but there is still a bit of scraping when I turn the wheel by hand. Will this be ok to drive or do I need to adjust the brake shoes so they are completely rub free??

Cheers
Monkey

Any rubbing is bad - you're risking everything getting hotter and expanding more and potentially then locking the wheel on. If it ran freely before parking up, but now it is binding, slackening the adjusters may help temporarily, but it is more likely that the pistons need freeing up to stop them seizing again. Personally, I'd strip, inspect, clean and re-assemble the brake assembly and find out the cause of it sticking.

Any rubbing is bad - you're risking everything getting hotter and expanding more and potentially then locking the wheel on. If it ran freely before parking up, but now it is binding, slackening the adjusters may help temporarily, but it is more likely that the pistons need freeing up to stop them seizing again. Personally, I'd strip, inspect, clean and re-assemble the brake assembly and find out the cause of it sticking.

As said ^^^ above. It`s brakes, you don`t need to find out they ain`t working when you`re on the road approaching a roundy bout. Pop the drums off and have a shufty. More than likely it`s just give them a little clean up and plonk it back together. BUT it`s the brakes on your bus, have a look and be sure.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Worth a butchers :mrgreen:

Latest posts