Rear drum break heating up and squeaking

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Priscilla1969

Reaction score
My rear drum brakes have been converted to the later type with new drums, shoes, springs but the back plates are old. Not sure if they are early or late.
The drivers side is fine but the passenger side ( rhd bus) starts squeaking after a few miles and the hub cap gets hot. Noise goes away on right hand corners, worse on left hand corners. Tried adjusting the shoes on the star wheels but no difference. The right hand shoe seems to be wearing unevenly.
Could the back plate be warped? Any other suggestions welcome.

when you adjust it and spin the wheel is it free to start with but then binds up when you use it.
if so the chances are you have a dodgy flexy hose, they collapse inside and stop the fluid passing back freely causing the brakes to stick on.
i had a problem a few years back on my front Caliper, must have stripped and cleaned it three times untill someone told me about this problem. it worked for me and i have changed quite a few others since with the same problem.

As what Bigdaz said. Most likely a collapsed flexi-hose. I had the same problem, changed the hose and been fine ever since. A cheap and easy fix too. 8)

Latest posts