Rear hub noise

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creationblue

Reaction score
Just a quickie, coming back from DATC and sitting in traffic i noticed a grinding noise coming from the near side rear brake area. It was speed related and not brake dependant, turned out to be a loose hub nut. Split pin was present and doing its thing so another one for the memory bank

I had a loose rear hub nut on a long trip a few years back. Drove home from West Wales unable to hear as it was making such a racket :D
Tightened up when I got back and all was well, until a year or so later and it happened again, albeit to a lesser extent. I checked threads on nut and shaft and couldn't find any reason ... I then sanded the nut on flat surface to ensure it was flat itself, and deep cleaned every surface so nothing could interfere with the fit. Its been fine since but still haunts me a little ...

Seeing the force you need to put them on i was surprised it came loose! I don't have the tools at home to either loosen or tighten!! Fingers crossed it wont happen again....

True. I do have the socket but I don't have a drive to match it! I must get around to buying a converter piece so I can jump on my extension bar if it happens again. But as you say, if its done up tight and a split pin is in place ... whats going on?

I believe if the splines are allowing even the tiniest amount of rotational play that the rear drum can begin to wear on the inner spacer that it butts up against. The drum will start to be worn down at this point as it moves back and forth, and eventually will lead to it being loose. So although the hub nut hasn’t moved, the drum has effectively shifted inboard slightly.

Might be worth slipping the drum off and checking the condition of this inner face. If it wears enough and is repeatedly re-tightened, the drum can end up catching the backing plate which could explain the noise you’re hearing?

One other thing that can cause the nuts to loosen is, tightening the nut up onto a painted surface. If you have been keen and painted the rear drums while they are off, make sure you keep the face that the nut tightens up on free from paint. If you don't, the paint squishes out from under the nut and becomes loose!

it could be that the drive shaft wasn't fully home after the last bearing change. a bit of hot and cold and some weight on/off may have allowed it to move .....

Latest posts