Rear light electrics.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Route9autos.co.uk

Reaction score
Looking for a quick pointer here guys.

Im trying to disable the connection between the rear indicators and brake lights on a US spec 71 so that I can wire up UK spec rear lights.

I have traced the wire which gets the flashing current when the indicator is on and separated it to a separate bulb but the bulb still comes on with the brake light.

I figure there must be a connection to the brake switch somewhere else and if anybody knows where or how I would be really gratefull if you could let me know the answer.

Many thanks,

Dave.

Dave the wire you have found is actually your brake light wire as it should be black/red 1 side and black/yellow the other side.

to wire up Euro spec you will need an extra 2 wires in a black/green and black/ white..

but you will also need to do some changes from brake light switch to hazzard switch as your brake light wires go through there, and need removing and new wires fitting..i have included a wiring diagram for a 71 euro spec so you can see where you need to make changes

jon..

Transporter_from_August_1970-1.jpg

Transporter_from_August_1969-2.jpg

:)

if you need any more help email me

I believe the magic lies in the indicator switch, US spec is very different from euro.

For wiring diagrams check:

http://www.vintagebus.com/

the magic lies between the brake lights going through the hazzards i believe and then feeding the stalk switch, i have included a usa spec diagram aswell to compare,

Jon

Transporter_USA_from_August_1970-1.jpg

Transporter_USA_from_January_1971-2.jpg

Cheers for the help. I will print off the diagrams (I have a bently manual but colour is so much easier to follow) and have a bash tomorrow.
Fingers crossed on this as I hate electrics as a rule but nothing ventured and all that.
Dave.

what you need to do is remove the black and red wire from the terminal block t6 (the one that doubles back to hazzard switch) and connect in the black/red and black/yellow that go to the back as these are your brake light wires..

then remove the rest of the wire from term 54 hazzard switch to stalk switch.

then you need to piggy back 2 more wires in a black and white and a black and green and run them from the stalk switch to the rear indicator lights.

jon.

Wouldn't it be easier to use the current wires for rear indicators and make only one new wire from front to back for brakelights. That can be routed from t6 to back (like it is in Euro diagram).

Then remove the wire between the hazzard swirch and stalk switch like 58Herbie told. EDIT: Basically this wire could be left alone, as I believe that this is only because of brake lights would work even the hazzards are on (or then it's vicewersa, but doesn't matter). Only remove the black/red wire between t6 and hazzard switch.

This would not hassle up the hazzards either?

Latest posts