rear wheel bearings

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panalvan

Reaction score
My wide 5 1970 westy needs new rear bearings on one side.My question is can i replace them without removeing the hub .The haynes manual says i do but this seems alot of work.I have made up a screwed press to put the bearings back in .Basiclly has anybody done this or do i have to remove the lot
Cheers

panalvan said:
My wide 5 1970 westy needs new rear bearings on one side.My question is can i replace them without removeing the hub .The haynes manual says i do but this seems alot of work.I have made up a screwed press to put the bearings back in .Basiclly has anybody done this or do i have to remove the lot
Cheers

I'm going to guess that what you guys call the hub we over here call the bearing carrier. I just did mine a few weeks ago and no, you don't have to take it off. You will need to unbolt the outer CV, bag it, and hang it out of the way so you can do the inner bearing and grease seal.
Also make sure you don't re-use the old bearing races, use the ones that come with the new bearings.

Latest posts