Reasonable Exterior Paint Job (£?)..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bermuda blue

Reaction score
Might be on the trail of an OK condition van, but don't like the colour -what would an external paint job cost ? (assume a pop-top roof), I know "it would depend on.....", but a rough range of price would help with the decision making. Cheers -JIM.

Would have thought £1k to £2k? I'm having the whole side and front end approx £1k, but there are some dents in the front

I think it will vary extremely depending where you take it,but a basic full respray should be had for what uber cool said.That could change if they uncover loads of filler and rusty bits.

I think you'll find its more like £2-£3K for a good paint job these days thats why og paint rules :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

if you are handy you could strip it down and rebuild it your self that will help keep the cost down but dont forget the price for new seals and paint is not cheap just bought 6ltr 2pack £260 £100 primer then sanding disks it all adds up.

I've seen a £1000 spray job on a bay and it really wasn't pretty, I counted 4 panel gaps that had been filled over.

Your looking at £2000 (for a cheap job) upwards depending on a number of variables.

You're right guys it's costing me £1300 for one side and front panel from a vw restorer. I'll post pics when I have collected it on Friday. And it only had a slight scratch down the side

Now I feel really old! When I were a lad (said wit' Yorkshire accent!) paint jobs cost a lot less than those figures. I distinctly remember my boss Brian, whilst spraying a Mini Traveller a nice shade of Almond Green, shouting to his missus to stop disturbing him, 'Stop putting me off, I've got nearly a hundred quids worth of paint here you stupid b*tch, what are you trying to do, bankrupt me?' Still, that was, gulp, nearly 25 years ago and I was on the YTS scheme getting £27.50 a week so I suppose it is all relative.
'Settles back in the rocking chair filling his pipe with 'old shag' whilst the dog fetches his slippers'............

Just paid about £3,000 for a full respray including the roof and very happy with the results. Seen loads of examples of sub £2k jobs and mine is substantially better.

What ever you do get the inside of the engine bay painted the same as the outside. There is noting worse that opening the rear lid to see the original colour IMHO. :roll:

kempy said:
What ever you do get the inside of the engine bay painted the same as the outside. There is noting worse that opening the rear lid to see the original colour IMHO. :roll:
Or the door shuts :roll:

Pete B said:
Now I feel really old! When I were a lad (said wit' Yorkshire accent!) paint jobs cost a lot less than those figures. I distinctly remember my boss Brian, whilst spraying a Mini Traveller a nice shade of Almond Green, shouting to his missus to stop disturbing him, 'Stop putting me off, I've got nearly a hundred quids worth of paint here you stupid b*tch, what are you trying to do, bankrupt me?' Still, that was, gulp, nearly 25 years ago and I was on the YTS scheme getting £27.50 a week so I suppose it is all relative.
'Settles back in the rocking chair filling his pipe with 'old shag' whilst the dog fetches his slippers'............
I too was shocked, went a little dizzy :shock: , the cost of the paint is about what I thought the work would cost. At least half is being paid by the insurance as a muppet in a corsa scraped the side of the van a few weeks ago.

kempy said:

OH yes,its worth the little extra imo

everyone slates cheap paint jobs but i dont think they are that bad as long as their isnt any aweful bodges. Mine was £1600 for all the welding (which was pretty much most panels inc chassis rails, front panel etc), two rust free doors and paint job and although it will never be a show winner i have what i want, which is a useable good looking camper, and more importantly its put another decade or so on its life, and hopefully by the time it starts to look shabby il have the cash to do it properly myself!

luke said:
everyone slates cheap paint jobs but i dont think they are that bad as long as their isnt any aweful bodges. Mine was £1600 for all the welding (which was pretty much most panels inc chassis rails, front panel etc), two rust free doors and paint job and although it will never be a show winner i have what i want, which is a useable good looking camper, and more importantly its put another decade or so on its life, and hopefully by the time it starts to look shabby il have the cash to do it properly myself!

That's because the vast majority of cheap jobs won't last a decade. Fair play if your van is in a garage and comes out when the sun is out but if you get a cheap job done on a daily 9 times out of 10 the rust will be back through within twelve months.

But hey, what do I know? ;)

Gerard2009 said:
Just paid about £3,000 for a full respray including the roof and very happy with the results. Seen loads of examples of sub £2k jobs and mine is substantially better.

Who did that for you? I'm in Horsham and will be looking at painting my van later this year. Cheers.

All this talk of £3k paint jobs makes me nervous to post my paint job. It cost a grand total of £90 give or take a tenner. Myself and Strongy (who did 99% of the work) came up with this. Its by no means perfect but it does show what can be done. I simply couldn't afford £2-3K so I'm quite happy to have a bus which isn't perfect.

Before...

camper2.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

After...

bus1.jpg

bus3.jpg

bus4.jpg

bus2.jpg

nancybrown said:
All this talk of £3k paint jobs makes me nervous to post my paint job. It cost a grand total of £90 give or take a tenner. Myself and Strongy (who did 99% of the work) came up with this. Its by no means perfect but it does show what can be done. I simply couldn't afford £2-3K so I'm quite happy to have a bus which isn't perfect.

Now thats what i call satisfying, i mean everytime you look at your bus you will think to yourself, ok its not 100% perfect but it dosen't owe me much and it still looks good 8) , i did the same to my old bus and all in it cost me around £250, ok if you have the dough and want a pucka job than its gonna cost you big bucks, i however at the time wanted a tidy looking camper to use and enjoy with the family, youve got to remember that a respray on a bay is no more costly than a t5 its the amount of work needed underneath to get to a sprayable standard, thats where the real cost is.
And remember the thread title is reasonable paint job not mint ;) .

Nice looking bus by the way........ 8)

Latest posts