Reasons NOT to buy a LHD Early Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Photophil said:
Yes, I'm very sorry to have started this thread. There is obviously nothing wrong with a lefty and I am completely stupid. Please don't ban me.

Because of the fantastic advice I am now going to look at both.

Right....time for a new thread 'what colour is best'.

That's a joke btw.

Phil

Your forgiven. The only real crime is taking yourself too seriously or being self- righteous, which your clearly not. I drove a rented LHD car in Corfu a few years ago for the first time and after a short time quickly adjusted, although occasionally attempted to change a "phantom" gear with my left hand, although I had drunk an awful lot before driving home one night.

LV

mot time you will be glad you went lhd, its good when the tester says he cant believe how solid they are..( I know there is a few solid rhd, but I bet after some serious work..im sure I will be put right ;) ) as for driving ...lush. the daily car seems odd now with the wheel on the wrong side!! :lol:

That's it then.

LHD it is. Just got to find the right one within my budget.

Again, thank you everyone for your advice.

Can anyone recommend a good insurance company?

LHD Panel van , just use my mirrors lots !

Ah now insurance another minefield , , I am with RH Insurance ,

Other insurers are available :)

i've got a lefty, you adapt but there are a few negatives.
ticket barriers without a passenger - campsites have a lot of them.
blind bends on country roads - hugging the kerb with tall hedges sometimes gives you a supprise round the bend.
the sliding door is on the wrong side if you pull into a layby for a break.
overtaking can be a problem on a roads if you are behind a tractor/trailer or van or bus without a passenger.
your mrs keeps shouting "get over get over" when you drive down the road.

rickyrooo1 said:
i've got a lefty, you adapt but there are a few negatives.
ticket barriers without a passenger - campsites have a lot of them.
blind bends on country roads - hugging the kerb with tall hedges sometimes gives you a supprise round the bend.
the sliding door is on the wrong side if you pull into a layby for a break.
overtaking can be a problem on a roads if you are behind a tractor/trailer or van or bus without a passenger.
your mrs keeps shouting "get over get over" when you drive down the road.

The bit about the mrs shouting "get over get over" I can vouch for as I too am "a significant other" passenger in the front seat of a lefty. Dan has no problem driving, but it can seem a bit of a white knuckle ride at times as a passenger, especially round country lanes or when a lorry is approaching in the opposite direction. Eek! I would try driving, but I can't reach the pedals! ;)

Having said that, wouldn't swap our Rosie for the world! :D

closing the door on my LHD US import and not hearing rust and filler rattle about in it and my magnetic GB badge sticking to the bottom 9inch's is a good reason TO buy a LHD

plus a Police woman once had a go at my Mrs because the bus had no front number: See was sat with her feet on the dash eating a sandwich, but in the RHD :lol: you would have thought the steering wheel would have given it away

A local yoof working in a MacDonalds drive through nearly had a heart attack when we pulled up and he thought my ten year old daughter was driving :D

Bad point.......

You look daft in the petrol station when you climb in the wrong side :lol:
Just shuffle across ;) ;)

Lee C said:
Bad point.......

You look daft in the petrol station when you climb in the wrong side :lol:
Just shuffle across ;) ;)

I still do this ^^ :shock:

Though I advise my friends that driving a LHD is very difficult and not something that your average human can do and should not be taken likely, it takes superior skill and is a sign of an extremely competent driver to be able to master the challenge of LHD - not everyone can do it and it really is a sign of high intellect and incredibly high IQ - similar to the skills required for combat jet pilots..... ;) - in truth it takes about 10 minutes to get the hang of it but don't tell anyone :D

I still get in the wrong side though.... I also have the challenge that I drive a RHD auto, a RHD manual and a LHD manual - all of which means that I have to remind myself before pulling away whether I need to change gear & what hand to do it with!

If there's any smokers/ex-smokers around it's very similar to when you first passed your test and tried to smoke a cigarette whilst driving the first time - you think your going to stab yourself in the eye or catch your car on fire :roll: - but takes about 5 minutes to get the hang of it

Lee C wrote:
Bad point.......

You look daft in the petrol station when you climb in the wrong side
Just shuffle across

Thank God! Though it just me that did this. I normally pretend I m looking at the paintwork or making sure the doors closed properly.

Thank God! Though it just me that did this. I normally pretend I m looking at the paintwork or making sure the doors closed properly.

Me too...... Just checking the wife's strapped in ok ;-)

LHD isn't a problem. If you are a fairly confident driver you will pick it up real easy.

My mate got a load of abuse last week for driving and being on the phone at the same time...... We were on the motorway and I changed lanes meaning the car approaching from behind had to slow from about 85mph to let me out! As he passed us he saw my mate sat in the passenger seat on his phone and assumed he was driving then went all suggestive with his hand signals. We pi$$ed ourselves laughing.:)

i laughed at the guys who do the petrol station shuffle....... i pretend i was checking summat in the footwell so it doesn't look like i got in the wrong side...... :msn4:

I sometimes used to open n shut the drivers door once I was inside & in a Mr Bean styleeee, reprimand the door for not working properly, all very embarrassing stuff, & ONLY in petrol stations!!! :shock:

I've had my LHD Westy for over 4 years now - no probs with anything!
Prefer driving this side tbh and rarely overtake anyway although you do need to check mirrors, wardrobe,(blindspot) check again, then again before going for it - you get used to it after a while but sitting up higher than other traffic always helps....
Parallel parking is also a doddle as you're sitting kerbside and can just hang your head out and look where you're going!

Go for it!

Spence

I got a 71 rhd bay and its having the bottom
9" replaced all round! What do you think
It could be worth?
I was told a figure but find it hard to
Believe?

I hate to be controversial but I must say I'd find driving a left hooker at home AND on the continent a right pain! Every time I drive hire cars abroad I'm always tapping the kerb because it's quite hard for your brain to move the excess mass of the car from one side to the other!

I've got a RHD and I can transfer between my car (Alfa Mito), the missus Fiesta, Dad's Prius and the bus with real ease. Driving a RHD on the continent for me is easier because I'm used to RHD cars full stop, so it's just the point of remembering to be lined up with the kerb yourself, not the middle of the road! I've been going for 7 weeks on the continent now and I'm much happier that all I have to think about is driving not which hand I'm changing gear with :lol:

If you're driving at home mainly I'd get a RHD but it's up to you!

Just my 2p :)

Latest posts