Red 9 Twin wishbone coilover suspension

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

911gt2

Reaction score
Right now, my westy sits on air. Looks cool, drive's like sh#t. My bus goes down the road like a drunken sailor especially when windy.
Some might be due to the sloppy steering box, and al the link pins. The other due to the air I guess.
Instead of having to do the steering box only to find out it's a waste of money I'm currently looking into a Red 9 front-end.

I don't feel the need for a rear axle at this moment.

But before I chuck out € 2650,- I'd like to read some experiences.

I did a search here, but most topics that turned up are on the EZ rider, and to be honest I think that setup is faulty. (personal opinion)

Background info:
My bus currently sits on lowered front spindles and air-shocks in front and adjustable spring plates and air-shocks in the rear.

I have had a RED9 for about 8 years & have driven 20,000+ miles on it. There are a few people that will offer their opinions & haven’t actually driven/owned a bus with it fitted.

I still absolutely love it, I, like a few people had a steering box changed (free by RED9) to an updated one as they are fitted now & the overall driving experience is excellent, almost modern car precision on the motorway.

I would suggest to find a bus close to you a have a ride.

Link to my build thread.

Introducing Mr Brightside's Midlands Makeover............
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=6428&share_tid=26453&share_pid=267715&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum%2Eearlybay%2Ecom%2Fviewtopic%2Ephp%3Fp%3D267715%23p267715&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I echo Mr Brightsides comments. I went for a twin wishbone setup back in 2015 when finishing my resto. At the time there were problems with the Red9 supplied and made steering box that was a shocker, they replaced it with a far better quality item that I assume they all come with now and there is no play. A lovely setup that rides well and steers nicely. I've probably only done a few thousand miles since then but never felt it wasn't worth it.
My only gripe is I feel it needs an ARB, I did ask Red9 about this and they claimed it doesn't need one which I thought was odd as don't pretty much all cars have front ARB's?
I have good intentions of trying to engineer an ARB to fit one day but it's never made it high enough up the priority list yet and probably won't if I'm honest.
I posted the changes to the steering box on this thread but poxy Photobucket have ruined it: http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60873&start=80
If you are passing near Gatwick airport I'd be happy to let you take mine for a drive.

Mags

Mr Brightside said:
I have had a RED9 for about 8 years & have driven 20,000+ miles on it. There are a few people that will offer their opinions & haven’t actually driven/owned a bus with it fitted.

I still absolutely love it, I, like a few people had a steering box changed (free by RED9) to an updated one as they are fitted now & the overall driving experience is excellent, almost modern car precision on the motorway.

Link to my build thread.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=6428&share_tid=26453&share_pid=267715&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum%2Eearlybay%2Ecom%2Fviewtopic%2Ephp%3Fp%3D267715%23p267715&share_type=t&link_source=app

Thanks. To bad photo bucket blurred al your pics. Is there a way to get them?

Thanks for your post

Mags said:
I echo Mr Brightsides comments. I went for a twin wishbone setup back in 2015 when finishing my resto. At the time there were problems with the Red9 supplied and made steering box that was a shocker, they replaced it with a far better quality item that I assume they all come with now and there is no play. A lovely setup that rides well and steers nicely. I've probably only done a few thousand miles since then but never felt it wasn't worth it.
My only gripe is I feel it needs an ARB, I did ask Red9 about this and they claimed it doesn't need one which I thought was odd as don't pretty much all cars have front ARB's?
I have good intentions of trying to engineer an ARB to fit one day but it's never made it high enough up the priority list yet and probably won't if I'm honest.
I posted the changes to the steering box on this thread but poxy Photobucket have ruined it: http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60873&start=80
If you are passing near Gatwick airport I'd be happy to let you take mine for a drive.

Mags
Sorry I'm in the Netherlands. Friend of me has got a red9 and I drove it. That's why I'm considering it. Only thing is he's got a split window. So the benefit there is even bigger I guess then with a bay. So that's why I'm looking for specific early bay experiences.

Thanks for your write-up. I'm interested in your pics as well. Maybe I can PM my mail address?

A properly set up link pin beam bus with all the components in good order will drive & ride lovely. I’ve slammed and set up many buses on both ball joint & link pin beams and i concede it’s not a 5 min job dialling everything in but is worth it in the end.

As for red 9, I’ve swapped a bus from red 9 to a link pin beam. A friend brought a bus but wanted the narrow look etc, I drove the bus from his house to my workshop shop and I was pleasantly surprised on how nice it was to drive. However once I started removing the set up I was applauded by the frankly horrific build quality and especially the welding :shock: The whole affair ended up being scrapped.

911gt2 said:
Mr Brightside said:

Link to my build thread.

Thanks. To bad photo bucket blurred al your pics. Is there a way to get them?

Thanks for your post

Mags said:

Mags
Sorry I'm in the Netherlands. Friend of me has got a red9 and I drove it. That's why I'm considering it. Only thing is he's got a split window. So the benefit there is even bigger I guess then with a bay. So that's why I'm looking for specific early bay experiences.

Thanks for your write-up. I'm interested in your pics as well. Maybe I can PM my mail address?

Yep no problem, drop me a PM.

(Dutchmode on) Hallo 911GT2,

ik ben ook from the netherlands...;-).
Rij al 7 jaar met een Red9 en nog steeds geen spijt van.
Voordelen :
- het rijd /stuurt zoveel fijner en strakker
- as is plug and play

Nadelen :
- ik kreeg speling op het hulpstuurhuis maar zoals je hierboven al las is die gratis vervangen door een goede, ik ga er dan ook vanuit dat wanneer je nu 1 besteld er een goede bij zit.
- laswerk laat wat te wensen over die check voor je monteert. Bij mij kon het T-stuk tussen hulpstuurhuis en bestaande stuurstang nog wat laswerk gebruiken
- Ik sta nu op het 1-na-laagste gaatjes en wil er nog 1 lager maar dan moet eigenlijk wel het hulpstuurhuis omhoog omdat andere de kruiskoppeling die eruit komt naar de as toe te dicht bij de grond komt. Bij mij gaan we dat doen en is er al getubed aan de voorkant.

Er zou in Dld ook een soortgelijke as gemaakt worden maar kan daar verder weinig info over vinden die wat verder doorontwikkeld zou zijn.

succes met je keuze. (dutchmode off)

Latest posts