regulator for outside alternator

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splinter196

Reaction score
hi im new to this but i have an early bay the alternator is a regulator out side one have found a wiring diagram but i need a regulator none of the ones i have found on the parts sites have the same conections as the one in diagram any one know the part number for this any help info ready for mot been a month now trying to get sorted i put it in a repair place they had it three weeks out side in the rain befor they said they were not prepared to remove alternator and they drilled a hole in dash to put a flick switch in to make lights work after i said dont do that

Remove your bus from wherever you have left it , they are taking the piss and that, mate is what they are doing, no doubt bout that! re your regulator , remove it , i.d. No. will be on it , if struggling google "megabug" (in London) excellent Co. they , if cant sort you out ,will give you advice further to what you are looking for.as you no doubt know , the bus came with a working light system , if they are drilling holes , ??????ffs!!!!!!!you may be aware of a site known as "the late bay"? try it , dont matter what you got , you are welcome , (i am on it) , some of the fellas own camper garages >>>you could do with their advice , its given freely, up to you bruv , if you do ANYTHING/NOTHING do this , remove your bus from where you left it AND , bill them for damage !<this is good advice !> best wishes ! oh, and if you are unsure ? what makes you think your regulator is faulty ?

thanks for reply my bus is no longer at superstart i have never had a regulator for this bus i brought one but it seems that its for dynamo differant conections my bus can be seen on you tube splinter196

pictures worth a thousand words....

I have absolutely no idea why them drilling a hole in your dash and fitting a switch would have any bearing on a regulator issue....

You might want to spend a few more minutes and explain your issue more clearly

sorry the lights wernt working the van went to shop to have all electrical issues sorted main one being alternator, horn,main and dipped beam i do all my own stuff as a rule and thought it was a shortcut to have a firm do it again i tried to save money by having alternator repaired insted of gettin new reg inside one and was just asking if anyone was familier with reg outside set up and had a part number or source for regulator should not have started moaning about wots past my appologys

also i am aware of just kampers ect, have regulator available. the wiring looks differant it does not look like one on diagram, i have. the ones availble are a hundred quid there abouts, there is one for t4s that they say fits/works for all thats 25 quid .

On an external regulated alternator,there is 3 wires which go to the regulator from the alternator D+ DF D-. I got a non genuine regulator through a local autoelectrician about £15.Its made by Cargo do a search for them or i'll try and find the part no

Steve

thanks guys my alternator was chuckin out too much voltage i thought the diode pack needed replacing unaware of ext reg alternators the firm said they could do that in fairness to them i think they expected me to just bring the alternator round but my mate has trade plates so he drove it round for me less than a mile hey ho

I have an early '72 so is a '71 model, the regulator is a Bosch RE55. Google image will show you what they look like, mine is mounted top right hand corner of the engine bay firewall as you look through the rear engine hatch, but not sure is this the original position, it does not look very VW and inherited a engine swop from previous owner, even so would expect it to be somewhere on rhs near to battery and alternator. The wiring is straightforward DF to DF green wire, D+ to D+ red wire, D- to D- thick brown wire(goes to mounting earth on the RE55) Thin blue wire from D+ to dash warning light. Thick red wire and thin black suppressor wire to +ve screw connection on alternator. Haynes manual strips an early bay and only shows dynamo, there is alternator in the supplement but not the separate regulator sort. Autobooks is more accurate for the generator story.

thanks to all who replyed to my post about regulator the twenty quid reg did the job its the t 4 one thats good for all 14 volt deep joy when ignition light went out 6 weeks have gone by trying to get it sorted i would luv to post pics of my bus but just cant suss how

Latest posts