Removing non-factory paint to reveal OG paint

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swelly

Reaction score
Hi guys, I would like to get your experience/technique in removing aftermarket paint jobs to reveal the factory paint, as I've just started to do it on mine and I need to expose the original Montana red below. I've see the thread on the Samba, but it's mainly mentioning US brand chemicals etc and thought it would be useful to have a UK version.

Any tips and tricks would be very appreciated!

Swelly

It's not something I have done but I have read about people doing it using halfords graffiti remover, and a scotch pad

It is something I have been looking into for a while now as it is something I will be attempting myself later in the year. My plan is to start as soft as possible so I plan to start with Meguiars Diamond Cut Compound 85 on a DA with an aggressive cutting pad. I will then work up from there to paint stripper on tougher/thicker areas. My understanding is the softer you can be and the more time you can take over it the more likely you are to get good results on exposing OG paint.

Gunwash, messy but does work (just don't use too much)

And less potent than paint stripper (more likely to remove all paint)

I've done it with 400 disc on the DA sander then 800 wet then clearcoated, but it could be polished!!!!!!
Time consuming but it worked!!!!

Latest posts