Repainting tin wear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcher

Reaction score
Stripped engine, new heads on there way (due to a cracked pair) so got time to kill :shock: :shock:

So, going to repaint my tinwear. Got lots of smooth rite left over from my trailer rebuild, but i'm not sure if thats the right stuff for the job :? :? :?

I ask the question again. :oops: :oops: :oops: does anyone have any tips/advice.

cheers

ever thought of the powder coat route mate ?

Smoothrite is certainly not the 'wrong' paint at all,although I am not a fan of smoothrite as it seems a bit difficult to work with,a bit too thick and not very smooth - just in my expierence, I have had to thin it on many occasion to get a flat gloss finish.

Hammerite may be a consideration,depending on the surface condition as it covers any imperfections you may have due to the mottled finish - so consider what the metalwork is like (piting etc) If you want a mirror brush finish try coach paint,if its just to tidy up them what ya got will be fine! Smoothrite will be OK as it won't get 'that' hot and is supposed to be tough finish.

as with all paint jobs the finish is in the prep,the paint is just the final coat to colour it. Pics when done please! hth

I did think about powder coating it, but i thought it would cost the earth :? :?

Called a couple of companies today and the cheapest price i got was £25 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well happy with that price.

cheers for the advice "Doris"

When I recently did my tinware I had them hot dip galvanised. Because they do all the bits at the same time cost it me about £40 for every bit of tinware for a Type4 motor, including the front splash pan. You have to get them sandblasted first cost me about £25 from what I remember.
I left them shiny silver but if this is not to your taste I guess you could spray them.
They should out last any painted surface especially on the tins that sit under the heat-exchangers, totally heat proof as well.

Go for the powder coating dude, i had mine blasted and powder coated in textured black for £20! bargain :mrgreen:

easy said:
Go for the powder coating dude, i had mine blasted and powder coated in textured black for £20! bargain :mrgreen:

Agree on that and keep them black-they run hotter with light colours

--------------------

ended up powered coating them. £40 is not to bad :lol: :lol:

P1020241.jpg

P1020240.jpg

When i built up my new engine i sprayed the og fan housing gloss black and then brought chrome for the rest of the tinware. Looks nice but is a bitch to keep clean :lol:

Latest posts