repair or sell and buy a rust free import?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uber cool

Reaction score
I want a really mint bay camper and mines not mint. So do I a) carry out the body repairs or b) sell it and buy a US import and start all over again.

My camper mechanically and internally is just what I want in a camper, looks right too ( in my eyes) However it now showing signs of needing some work, ie the front panel has been pranged and filled many years ago and started to go under the windscreen.

I've worked on cars welding them up etc for +20years so have all the tools just not sure if I can go through the hassle again of body repairs etc. I'm also making a bay trailer which is talking up most of my spare time, also not sure if the neighbours could put up with the noise!

Question is as I have always carried out repairs myself I have no idea what a VW restorer would charge. Ive got a budget of approx £5k to either carry out the body repair or use along with the money from my camper to get a US importback to the level i'm looking for. Any suggestions? or suggest a VW restorer in the North West I could speak to.

Was thinking the same about my van.
Got a 72 crosser, had it for 3 yrs now and just sills and repairs to the outriggers then the underside will be done, bodywork now looking shabby, gonna cost a few pennys to do.
Decided to stick with it cos i know whats been done.
you could but an import and still need work done to it.

that's my problem, the van has new brakes, rebuilt engine, interior just how I like it. Think I'll have to find a good bodywork shop near me.

But then again chance to do it all again with a US import!

anybody recommend a bodyshop?

If you know your bus and it hasn't been butchered (or botched) by previous owners, and you can fund the repairs (or do them yourself) I say stick with it.

as long as you get the work done properly then stick with what you have, there are good arguments for both decisions, can you imagine if you sold your van only to see it years later looking really bad! not good! but then a welded van will always be a welded van, i know for a fact i wouldent consider buying a welded UK van now I know what you can get imported, but then thats me. I have done the whole restoration thing and botched it loosing a lot of money, so I learnt the hard way!

also if you bought a nice van what would you do with your weekends and evnings? how boring would it be actualy using it!! instead of being sat there welding it ha-ha.

axlfoley- you are correct both are viaable options. For years my garage floor has had a covering of grinding dust. it would be nice to have it covered in dripped polish instead!

Last week I went to see a US import (california) if I hadnt seen it myself I would not have believed how good they are, our weather and salt is so cruel to our cars. It was like a 2 year old uk car, ok the odd spot but my god the chassis rails, the sills ...... like a new car.

I'd still be busy with the interior and fitting the 911 engine I have for it.

Speaking of which postman just delivered a letter from HM taxes, bought some parts for the 911 engine, forgot about the tax to pay, that's not made buying from USA cheap :oops:

The other option is to buy an imported bus of the same age which is not running and needs all brakes etc doing. Then you swap over all the good parts, camping interior etc over to the import. There have been solid buses on here for £2k without engines interiors etc. Speak to Woodslat, he seems to be able to find them. You can then sell on your old bus as a project.

I think that is what I would do if the bus had gone too far.

faux said:
The other option is to buy an imported bus of the same age which is not running and needs all brakes etc doing. Then you swap over all the good parts, camping interior etc over to the import. There have been solid buses on here for £2k without engines interiors etc. Speak to Woodslat, he seems to be able to find them. You can then sell on your old bus as a project.

What the man says really, thats asuming your vans that bad.
Some folk love the challenge of giving new life to a dead van and others dont like getting (too) dirty.
Just remember to take into account that many rust free imports dont have a great history of maintenance and you need to budget for window rubbers, steering and brake parts etc.

Your van sounds like its not that bad and there are some quality body shops out there.

Remember, dry rust free vans become damp UK busses when they land on our shores so if you go that route dont forget the waxoil :roll:

yeah good point guys.

I have based my estimates with a US bus having all new running gear and brakes, new seat belts etc.

I'm able to do the work, just lack the time, Ive been building a bay trailer for the last 3 years! at least if I can get a US bus road legal it will be a rolling resto to go to shows next year.

If I cut the front panel off mine it will stay that way for years! it is currently MOT'd till july 09. and if I cut the front panel off that will lead to a new lower panel, repairs to chassis legs, probably new arches, that leads into the B post, leads into the sills. etc,,, etc,,, before I know it I'll be at the rear quarters with the angle grinder.

maybe I need to get some quotes for body repairs. can anybody recommend someone in lancashire?

faux said:

spot on^

if i could find a solid bus with no engine and interior and unwelded for £2000 ish id snap it up

mines solid now but it is welded and has had more repairs than my hotpoint washer dryer.

its not a bodge job but id like an un touched one,with what ive spent in bolt on parts (about £6000)it would be worth me puting all these on a really good shell then stick the old shell on ebay.

Strongy, If you put your shell up for sale it would sell no probs, looks the nuts, repaired or not. Wether you would find a good rust free shell for 2 grand is another matter, baring in mind the costs to import and transport to your door you would have to find one for about £500 first and considering that a dealer can get that for a rust free front clip on its own you can understand why they prefer to cut them up.

Uber cool, got any pics of your trailer?

It really depends on what you want out of teh van, if your van is fine then just repair as and when, mine was a UK van that was stood for 15 years before i got it. It needed welding but i know that everything i have had to weld is now good (?) for another few years.

Personally i dont buy cars/vans without looking at them first and unless your planning a trip over the water to view then your taking the seller at his/her word and that the pictures are a true reflection. A nice polished van doesn't mean a solid van!
From reading this thread it sounds like your vans the way you want it, i'd stick with what you've got and use the money when the van needs it

picture of trailer as requested
DSCN4090.jpg

picture of trailer and the bay in question
DSCN3448.jpg

few more pics of the camper
DSCN4086.jpg

DSCN4067.jpg

DSCN4079.jpg

DSCN4071.jpg

DSCN4066.jpg

DSCN4072.jpg

DSCN4088.jpg

DSCN4087.jpg

and for the porsche 911 engine
DSCN4091.jpg

ok thanks, had a look at photos on your website and will have a think, do you have any more photos ie engine bay or underneath?

Im just about to get an early bay westy down my workshop tomorrow, owners are looking for 7k.

Amazingly clean underneath and body good apart from a dent in rear corner which he did reversing into his traileron tour of europe this summer.

Hes removed westy interior but has it still

Well worth a look Id say

I thought of you last night, just after I'd spotted this rather straight looking Crossy and had posted it in the 'Baywatch' section.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1972-VW-BUS-BAY-VAN-T2_W0QQitemZ150310815957QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item150310815957&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)

Nic B C - think I remember you from VZI, did we meant at a services on the M1 and put a 1200 engine in the back of your polo? Re the van would need to sell mine first and still not decided yet.

Danbury Doug- yes just looked at this under your other post, looks quite tidy.

Latest posts