Replacement cooker

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty

Reaction score
I have an old Dudley cooker and grill in a swing out unit that has developed a fault (see earlier posts) and as I can't find spares for it I do need to replace it with a similar sized unit.

Any recommendations on what and where I can purchase from?

Many thanks in advance

I too have a Dudley unit. I had a look for a replacement & all the likely candidates were way too wide.
I looked at your original post & there wasn't much detail about the fault.
I imagine there can't be too much to the control valve. A brass spindle in a brass housing with possibly a few O rings.
I'd try & pursue a fix if possible.

I'm about to remove & dismantle mine to fabricate a heat deflector to stop the whole unit getting bloody hot when using the grill.

Phil.

Hi rephil

The problem is that the brass spindle has worn beyond repair leaving the grill permanently on :(
Hence looking for either a spare spindle or replacement cooker

Rather than scrap cooker take tap off and go to some gas central heating parts supplier and I'm sure they will be able to fix you up.
Robert

Hope you don't mind me keeping this thread going / hijacking it.
I've just been out & had a look at my cooker & taken a few pics.
The control valve does look quite simple - from the outside. It still looks like a simple spindle which should be easy to copy on a lathe. I have one but can't really offer to help as I have so many things on the go, but someone else may be able to help.
If you can manage without the grill it looks like you could unscrew the valve from the manifold & plug this with a bung. It looks about 1/8" poss BSP or G thread.
I talked to Kev - Ex Delilahtoo, about his Dudly cooker & I'm sure he has his grill disabled.
I'm sure you've seen this but here's a pic - taken with dirty mirror.

705f108b9d76325090c414d7f39616a9.jpg

Here's the hijack bit..... When I use my grill the whole cooker get very hot, including the inlet gas manifold. It looks like most of the heat from the grill rises up & get trapped under the cooker. There is a slot in the centre above the grill but there's no mechanical means to help the hot air go in that direction. Here is a pic showing the underside of my cooker. Is ther a missing heat deflector or anything else?
I'm thinking of fabricating something but I could copy an existing missing part if it exists.

365567e557799b30d9897e5c5abdea7f.jpg

Phil.

Interesting idea, getting a new part made

Anyone know someone who can do this or wants to do it ?

Would prefer to keep the Dudley but it maybe a case of needs must

Monty,
Did you happen to see if the underside of my grill in the pic looks the same as yours? I'd be very greatful if you could have a butchers sometime.

Phil.

Latest posts